• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

psu to heater on 4 el34 tubes???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think the issue that might arise relates to the relatively uncontrolled warmup characteristic of the EL34 filament. Running 4 of them in series would require a voltage of 25.2V and depending on the thermal time constant of each tube's filament/cathode structure the voltage across the filaments may not divide equally during warm up and possibly during operation as well. One really simple way around this if you must run a series string is to operate them with a constant current source set to 1.5A, otherwise it is probably better to just run them in parallel - the only issue here is sizing the wiring to handle 6A rms which really shouldn't be a problem.

I had a marantz amplifier which used 6AU4 rectifiers with the filaments in series, and I had to very carefully select them so that when warm the voltage across each filament was equal. Incidentally when I got the amplifier (a model 2) one of the problems was a 6AU4 with an open filament.

Kevin

kevinkr said:
...One really simple way around this if you must run a series string is to operate them with a constant current source set to 1.5A, otherwise it is probably better to just run them in parallel - the only issue here is sizing the wiring to handle 6A rms which really shouldn't be a problem.
Kevin

what about a series / parallel config? You'd need 3A but 13.2V?

wuffer said:
yes i thought of that...
that would be 6,3V and 3A each

or 6.3V and 6A for one. I see no problems with 6.3V / 6A. Should there be?

thanks for your help..
now im come to this conclussion that it should be right the first time..
so im going to look at some transformers that are made for tubes.. they cost a little more but maybe its the best

so i need to power heater on one ecc82 and 4 el34 in parallel and need high power for the ecc82..

is there one transformer with sec windings that fit???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.