• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone Use A Harmon/Kardon XT-2 Xformer For MC ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I should have posted this question BEFORE I won the bid on a pair on eBay.

Anyhoo, they are a 1:14 mic input xformer (250 ohm ct: 50K). I plan to use them with a Denon 103R with a secondary load of 20k to reflect 100 ohms to the cartridge.

I know they will work, I don't know how well . I'm hoping someone here has some experience with these, and can tell me if I either scored or got burned sound quality wise. You know, before I actually hear them to make my own determination :D

Oh ya, I got 'em for $49.80 for the pair.

Thanx,
Casey

mc

Hello , i have tried the XT-3 [similar maybe] with very good results , better than swowter and other mc x formers:)

Attachments

• mc.jpg
    mc.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 265
Hello , i have tried the XT-3 [similar maybe] with very good results , better than swowter and other mc x formers

Excellent news!! They are very similiar...just impedance difference I think 250 ohm for the 2, and 600 ohm for the 3.

Thank you for the info, it will be a while before I have my analog front end up and running..I have to finish my turntable first :smash: ...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67089

...as you can see it may be a long while :xeye:, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Casey

mc

Hello, i have two cartridges, one is ZYX RS20-02 and the other is ORTOFON MC30. I have a 27 KÙ resistor parallel with secondary coil, and one 270 Ù parallel with the primary coil , also i use a low capacity interconect cable , the results are excellent, and the sound is smooth and clear .Try something like this...Gianis

Re: mc

gianis said:
Hello , i have tried the XT-3 [similar maybe] with very good results , better than swowter and other mc x formers:)

Did you have any trouble finding the MIP9 socket for the XT-3?

Did you use the full primary winding or half winding? Wondering what step up ratio you used and if/how you loaded the secondary winding. Which cartridge did you use?

thanks,

msl

Did you have any trouble finding the MIP9 socket for the XT-3?

I was lucky , i found 9 pins socket but is very rare i think

So there it is...I couldn't figure out why, with all the pages out there describing mic input's used as mc stepup, the H/K transformers were never mentioned...its not like H/K is junk.

This socket, is it like an octal with an extra pin ? Is the 9-pin listed mid way down this page the correct one ?...

http://www.surplussales.com/Tube-Sockets/TubeSkts-3.html

Thanx

P.S. this thread may be more at home in the Analog forum. I posted my question here because this forum has a lot more activity...if you moderator dudes want to move it I understand:angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.