• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help With 3 Channel Magnavox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This message may show up twice, since my first reply generated some sort of error.

Anyway, the third channel on these consoles is typically a mix of the left and right channels, sometimes with a low pass filter. There are many schematics for these magnavox consoles available, so if you can report a model number I can perhaps give more details.

Maybe I do not fully understand your question, but why rewire it ? If you dont want the center channel then just dont use it. If this feels like you are wasting a perfectly good amp, then the "rewiring" that I would do is to remove the center channel amp and use it for some other project. If it is on a seperate chassis this may be easy to do, otherwise it may not be worth the effort.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I vaguely recollect at least some of these magnavox three channel amplifiers used the "center" channel amplifier to drive the woofer(s) and the right and left amplifiers to drive mids and tweeters. In such cases the left and right amplifiers generally had smaller output transformers not designed for low frequency operation. The one I recall had a pp amplifier for driving the woofers and a pair of se amps for everything else.

Kevin

kevinkr said:
I vaguely recollect at least some of these magnavox three channel amplifiers used the "center" channel amplifier to drive the woofer(s) and the right and left amplifiers to drive mids and tweeters. In such cases the left and right amplifiers generally had smaller output transformers not designed for low frequency operation. The one I recall had a pp amplifier for driving the woofers and a pair of se amps for everything else.

Kevin

Are you sure its magnavox? I have never seen a maggie with 3 channel outputs. I have seen lots of motorola's with that setup.

I have a schematic that covers several of the Motorola's 3 channel setups.

Generally speaking, The OPTs on the left & right channels wont be very useful as they are geared toward mid's and high's. Bass being a center channel with a much larger OPT.

Chassis numbers would be very useful.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Its been so long since I saw one of these console amplifiers I can't say for sure. I know I have seen motorolas with this set up, but do have a possibly faulty recollection of seeing at least one magnavox that was similar, and your comments about the opt applied in this case also..

Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.