• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

replace 6N1P with 7308

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a pair of Welborne DRD 300B amps. They use 6N1P's for the driver tubes, and I am wondering whether it is a) safe, and b) a good idea to put 6DJ8/6922/7308's in instead. I have a pair of Amperex PQ 7308's that I have no other use for (no, I won't give them to you -- I am sure I can find something to do with them,) and it seems a shame to leave them in a drawer.

As I understand it, the tubes are pin compatable, the 7308 will draw less heater current, but I am unsure how different the operating points are?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
some taughts on OPTs...

bifilar winding of the transformer is a keyfactor in reducing distortion of other than class A biased PP operation. If we choose PP we should go parallel-PP (circlotron, McIntosh) because only then we can go bifilar with lower winding capacitance and hf-copper losses. One of the mainprobs with transformer windig are the core dimensions. They are optimized basically for 50/60Hz use and low production costs. What we need in audio is a WIDE and NARROW window, like we have in a toroid. Unfortunally, toroids without airgap arent what we need. If we introduce a distributed airgap it will increase copper losses and winding capacitance far more in the toroid than in a conventional EI cored transformer. So why not forget about PP transformers alltogether and make a real big airgapped EE-core and go single ended?
What would we loose? Power? Efficience? Sure... BW? Not so sure...if we get the right core...
What would we gain? I imagine small signal linearity....
might be worth it....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.