• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Automated bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a wild idea i have never seen and am wondering if possible:

I have a BIg pushpull amp. With fixed negative bias.

That means once in a while i have to measure and adjust the bias.

Wel, i am lazy. Simple feats should be done by computers or electronics.

Could you set u a bias measuring curcuit that automatically adjusts bias?

Offcoarse it should have a clock of about half an hour to let the amp run warm. Than it should measure the bias.

I know you can't measure when playing, the curent differs with th music. But if you'd filter it well, you can measure the "mean" value

Just for starters

A 1 ohm resistor for measuring bias current. Buffer with opamp as to not interfere with the music.

Filter

Something elecronically

digital resistor in negative bias supply

thoughts?

@beamnet:

ermm... not entirely clear which of the circuits you mean...
but for the AFB...
you have to set it the first time without tubes plugged in...
Then plug 'em in and look at how they adjust, eg. when you set 44ma, at startup they will go to around 49ma for 1/2 second and then they'll settle at 44ma.(measured at voltage reference point)

in my setup the hv starts when the rectifiers start, so the overshoot is when there isn't even any current delivered..

beamnet said:
I haven't read the whole article, but these solutions look kinda passive. They don't "remember their status, and they could give the tube weird voltages on startup i think...

Bas

I've tried them and they're fast enough. Something dynamic is what you need. A "remembered" state is counter productive with a device like a tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.