Transformer selection question - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2005, 01:23 AM   #21
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
Now the pawn shops and the flea markets all look up the unusual stuff on Ebay, then ask Ebay money for it. You really have to travel far off the beaten path to find treasures any more.

The flea market where I got the Guild is now Ebay aware. I got an old "broken amplifier" there for $40. It contained 2 UTC P-P OPT's they go for $150 each on Ebay. Not any more.
My Gal an I hit a lot of estate sales, Which are also becoming equally Ebay aware to the point of being obscene.

They Look up completed listings based on highest completed price, Then print it out and tape it to the items for sale. And expect to get Rare Mint condition prices for used, and often DOA JUNK!

At public auctions locally, We only encounter 1 company who's ring man try's to motivate bids bragging " Come On Folks, These are 250.00 on Ebay, Who will start the bid at $200.00.

I shout out " This isn't EBAY, and I bid 5 bucks! " 3 Times I have nearly butted heads with that guy LOL he cringes when I arrive now, Knowing that he is going to be low balled, And if nobody else bids well, That's auctions!

That's were I get a lot of Consoles and organs, Out here at public estate auctions, They can hardly give them away because "A" nobody wants them, & " B " NOBODY wants to haul them or move them.

I have been known to drive 400 miles 1 way for Tubes though, That's how I ended up with 12,000 tubes for under 300 bucks.

Like you said, Drive well off the beaten path and prices drop exponentially with mileage.
There are a lot of old Mom N Pop TV shops out there, Closed, Hidden in storage buildings, Basement and the likes. My Gal is nearly an expert at locating them now.
Gene
Old 10th December 2005, 12:56 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

This is why I came back here. I'm among buddies, brothers and favorite cousins.

About 2 years ago I started dodging forums. Because of politics and the tantrums I would pitch. With a belly full of razor blades. I was, and am not, a happy boy. It is good that the political topic is dropped. Maybe I'll push it a little and say that Democrats are my 2nd favorite political target.

I checked back through the Sinbin. Thank you all for me not being there. I am a standard issue hippie and not supposed to scrap but I've been swarmed upon and toted out of my home saloon, several times, because of drawing a bead on bigshot's nose... because of politics.

Read The Bible, Voltaire and his stepson Twain. It's always been this way.

Glad to be back.

I know this is a nonlinear spot to say this, but linearity is an abstract concept, you understand.
Old 10th December 2005, 01:54 AM   #23
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow dude,

If you're not happy... figure out why. Then do something about it. Don't think about it... don't discuss it... do something... life's too short

The more I learn... the less I know. There's a beauty in that... embrace it.

As far as politics are concerned... leave it to the poilticians... what do you have to gain or lose?

I thought this was about audio.
Old 10th December 2005, 04:39 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Wow, now this threads really gone a stray

Back to my transformers, haha actually more of a a build question, I know this might seems like a silly question, But, In selecting caps for the build that's underway right now. I am curious. Does the uf rating on the cap lower available voltages as it is increased.

Say the schematic says 2x16uf/450V in parallel and 2 more 16uf/450's.

Is using 1-40uf/450V to replace the first 2- 16's that are in parallel taboo? Now, If I use all 40uf/450V's to replace the other 16's will this reduce voltage or mess anything up??

schematic
Gene
Old 10th December 2005, 04:46 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Oh Hey SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH be verwe verwe qwuiet nobody say "powitical"
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th December 2005, 05:24 AM   #26
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Trout,

You are exactly right. 2 16uF's in parallel is cool to replace with 1 40uF.

And yeah... about...
Old 10th December 2005, 05:38 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is using 1-40uf/450V to replace the first 2- 16's that are in parallel taboo?
The 5U4GB data sheet says 40 muF. is OK up to 900 VRMS end to end on the rectifier winding. You should be fine, but don't use a larger value.

5U4GB Data Sheet

Quote:
Now, If I use all 40uf/450V's to replace the other 16's will this reduce voltage or mess anything up??
With the max. allowable 40 muF. in the 1st position, I'm concerned that the resistor does not provide enough protection for the 5U4 against turn on surges. If that resistor is replaced by a choke (1.5 H. is adequate) you can do pretty much what you like in the 2nd and subsequent postitions.

Increased PSU capacitance yields a stiffer B+ rail. If you like the sound of B+ droop in a guitar amp, extra capacitance may not "float your boat".
Old 10th December 2005, 06:36 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli Duttman

The 5U4GB data sheet says 40 muF. is OK up to 900 VRMS end to end on the rectifier winding. You should be fine, but don't use a larger value.

5U4GB Data Sheet

With the max. allowable 40 muF. in the 1st position, I'm concerned that the resistor does not provide enough protection for the 5U4 against turn on surges. If that resistor is replaced by a choke (1.5 H. is adequate) you can do pretty much what you like in the 2nd and subsequent postitions.

Increased PSU capacitance yields a stiffer B+ rail. If you like the sound of B+ droop in a guitar amp, extra capacitance may not "float your boat".
Understood, I noticed on this particular schematic Vs many others by fender in that era, They increased that 1st resistor from 5K to 10K, The units following this one had chokes. I guess its a trade off kind of affair on droop / cap thing, more droop, less sustain?

I am running a 5E3 Deluxe that has 3X40 uf with the 5K 1st resistor right now, Not saying it will not mess up, But no problems thus far.

I have really been pouring the coals to this build, I started this morning with a blank chassis, And I am 40% wired! Would be further but my gal insisted I go Xmas shopping a few hours

Gene
Old 10th December 2005, 07:46 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trout
[B]Wow, now this threads really gone a stray:whazzat
Sorry, a brief moment. I just came in, overcome with our buddy "Bill" who is convinced that he is going to hell because he killed a little kid. Even though the boy and his 12 or 13 year old friend shot Bill's friend dead and messed up Bill, to be put back together with titanium.

It's too much. Bill was drunk and hollering. We had no rope to tie him up with. And nothing to glue his *** to the floor, like Spanky would have done. You tell me. All we could do was give him his car keys back and pray that he didn't show up in the news.

Let the damned thread go astray. Let me go to Texas.

I'm not a lightweight, I've been on the wrong end of the pistol a couple of times and I walked up and took one away from a waterhead who did not understand that when my sister says, "it ain't working", she means exactly that.

Out of here again. Another couple of years. Too emotional, I just cannot maintain some comfy illusion. With what's going on, I'm not digital-ready. See ya.
Old 10th December 2005, 11:29 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up PSUD2

@Trout

If you haven't dowloaded Duncan's Power Supply Designer (PSUD2) yet, give it a try. It's a great help with designing power supplys and in choosing pwr trannys.

www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html

Wayne

Hide this!Advertise here!