• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cathode Follower Buffer Input Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The circuit I'm considering is the enclosed one.

It's taken from:

http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSecond/Foreplay_Unity_gain/Unity_gain_Foreplay.html

The circuit shows two circuits. One is after a volume control and thus this part tells the input impedance. The other is directly after the input and is tagged "tape out". This is the one I don't know what the input impedance is.

Thanks,

xavier

Attachments

• unity_gain_v2_mod_2_dual_sch.gif
    unity_gain_v2_mod_2_dual_sch.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 389
A tube follower has very high input impedance..
So the input impedance, mid band, is the grid to ground resistance.... In the case of the schematic you show...the input impedance is 100K...since you have two 200K resistors in parallel, then they are bypassed to ground via 100uFcap....
The complete input impedance, would include the low frequency roll-off from this 100uF bypass cap....also the tube capacitance would affect high frequenncy roll-off... The plate to grid capacitance in parallel with the plate to cathode capacitance...
The grid to cathode capacitance is not significant in a follower since there is not much voltage differential across those nodes..

Some more info may be needed since the value of the pot the wiper goes to should be included..
Chris

Some more info may be needed since the value of the pot the wiper goes to should be included

I will not include the pot, wiper and selector switch but intend to connect the circuit directly after my phono pre as a buffer to make it capable of driving a CD Recorder with 10K ohm input impedance. The phono stage "is designed to operate into line stages with 50K or higher input impedance" so what I need to know is if this will work.

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.