• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL 84 PPP/PP Class A Triode schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to build a 2 channel tube amp, the difference being that the 2 channels have different power (10W/20W Class A triode is my goal).

EL 84 Class A PP Triode gives about 4-5W and PPP enxtends that to 8-10W. see http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/el84.pdf

replacing the EL84 with EL 34 and we get 8W (PP) and 15W (PPP)respectively but with higher plate/screen voltages. With U/L my goal 10W/20W is easily realised however U/L is complex. I'd ratther sacrifice a few watts from my "goal".

If I need more power I would switch the tubes to AB1. Class AB1 doubles the power from Class A. Right?

Does anyone have a tried and tested chematics for Class A Triode EL84 PP and EL84 PPP? This would give me a 5W/10W Class A Triode amp and could be 10W/20W in Class AB1 mode.

What driver tube would work? ECC 88? ECC 81/83?

If we use ECC88, can the EL84 be replaced with the EL34 (with different sockets)? Incase I dont like the AB1 sound I could then use EL34 in the same ckt. and stick to Class A Triode.

The reason I am asking only for EL84 based schematics is that I believe that I might be satisfied with the 5W/10W power of teh EL84 (Class A Triode PP/PPP) and the EL84 uses lower voltages (safer).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.