• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

drawings vs. schematics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
I came upon this page
http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/Single.6V6.html
and found it very helpfull for beginners because you can compare the drawing which is what you see in reality with the schematics,and thus understand a little more.Does anyone have more links like this to post?Or maybe someone has to object against this method.I know you can find tons of schematics but it is sometimes difficult to imagine the layout,and a drawing shows all the hidden wires.

gja

I would suggest that drawings like the one linked to are useless at best. You really cant tell what any of the transformer windings are, or their phase, or any component values. Any (working)schematic can be made to work with any layout (some better than others, but almost all good wiith propper implementation), but pictures such as the one linked are a recipe for fire and tube distruction.

Learn the symbols and understand the operation of each component or buy a ready made kit.

Good luck, and read a few threads about safety. I'm suer you've read before, tube stuff has leathal DC voltages.

yes and no

I agree with what you say,maybe it´s a personal way of seeing things.Actually observing some knowledge applied helps me connect it with the theory but then again that´s my way of seeing things.Just read the last post while writting this,looks like I am going to get killed here!Learn from one´s errors or from other people´s errors.Understood:not a good idea...
gja

What's your goal? To blindly build things with no understanding of what's going on, or start with something and make mods, change things and hopefully improve on a design or make it better suited for your purpose.

I look around until I find a circuit with a topology that I think fits what I want, then search for other tubes that I thing will better suit my application. Then I make up the layout and wiring diagram and/or circuit board layout.

I actually find it more difficult to work from a picture.
When building a project, I use a copy of the schematic, and trace over the components and connections as they're installed. A picture is much more messy for that purpose.
OTOH, having built one, if I want another, I'll copy the first directly.

Hi Gja,

I think the other posters are being needlessly harsh.

I found layout drawings like that one very helpful when I was first starting out. They are a good compliment to a schematic - not a replacement for one. I think a photo of the finished amp is even more helpful.

The key bit of info is transformer orientation, and overall chassis size needed.

Old radio kits and magazine projects in the 20's and 30's almost always had a layout drawing. Some of the Gernsback stuff was really artistic! They were geared towards non-technical amateurs.

Joel

before I have to go

Just a quick message before leaving,specially to Brian Donaldson:your point is understood.I am learning and yes,I would like to understand what and why.It seemed like a good idea but am now convinced i was taking the wrong path.Still interesting to hear everyone opinion on the subject,hope it helps others like me.Sometimes lack of time and patience leads us to try and avoid going the harder way.
gja

Looking back, you're right Joel, I did sound a little harsh and judgemental. My Bad.

As I was first getting my feet wet, the socket pin number on the tubes was worthless to me. I needed to know where the anode, cathode, screen and grids were hooked together so I could understand what drove what, and you can't see that with the diagram. Once you have the schematic ironed out, then it's time to consider pin outs and physical locations.

Good luck gja, Don't let our attacks scare you off.

I really don't like working off pics as opposed to having a proper schematic. After all, you might want to change the layout and/or may have to adapt to what you have on hand. As for that particular layout, he has a central circuit board with wires coming from the sockets and going every which way. I don't favor that kind of construction, and would prefer to keep the leads as short as possible.

Furthermore, problems become more apparant from a schematic.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What happens if the speek is pulled from the jack either accidentally, or because the connection wears out, or by the careless when that amp is running?

:hot: :dead: :bawling:

Not a good idea. :no:

I think we need to not neglect one thing. Somewhere in the original post it was mentioned that it was difficult to imagine the layout from a schematic. While it is certainly true that schematics need to be understood as a very basic requirement, I sense that most of the replies come from members with experience in layout. This can be a nightmare for the beginner and rather expensive to learn by trial and error initially.

In this sense I do see value in a proposed layout (hopefully tried and found effective by the designer), especially in compact units. I. e. not for the purpose of following wiring like a parrot, but to see where to best place components and some leads. Also of value would be a description by the designer of the how and why.

Actual layout is more a function of ascetics. if two channels share halves of tubes, then you line them up down the middle, then put the output tubes to the sides in a way that is pleaseing to the eyes. Same with the transformers to the rear, but watch for non parallel laminations. The make the connections as needed.
(that's my philosophy)

Some people rotate the tubes for looks, I usually rotate them for easyest wiring (or least knotted PCB traces). Again, it all depends on your goals. Form or Function or your best compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.