• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Using an old power transformer as a choke?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have seen this referred to in some old texts, but have never done it.

I have a Hammond 273bx with a bad HV secondary, so I was considering using the primary coil as a breadboard choke rather than throwing it out. I have no idea of the inductance at tube amp DC currents, but I assume it would be high enough... at least over a dozen Henries, and the indulation is pretty rugged at 600v on the leads.

Any thoughts?

Power Tx as choke....

The Tx you plan to use has a faulty winding yes?

In what way is it faulty--If shorted turns, this could seriously affect its performance as a choke, effectively 'stealing' its inductance.

If the Tx is O/C secondary, then it should have some inductance that is usable.

How about trying a choke (ballast) from a florecent light fitting if your current requirements arnt too high..........

Re: Power Tx as choke....

Alastair E said:
The Tx you plan to use has a faulty winding yes?

In what way is it faulty--If shorted turns, this could seriously affect its performance as a choke, effectively 'stealing' its inductance.

If the Tx is O/C secondary, then it should have some inductance that is usable.

How about trying a choke (ballast) from a florecent light fitting if your current requirements arnt too high..........

The transformer is a Hammond 273BX that was in an amp that a buddy of mine decided to run without a speaker attatched to, so the high voltage secondary fried. I assume an internal short in the windings of the HV secondary is the fault. Impedance from each plate lead to the center tap is horribly unbalanced now--over 40 ohms on one side, and under 10 on the other. Where the lead to the the side with the lower impedance, just before it starts to join the coil, the plated magnet wire is almost burnt through as well. There is no short between primary and secondary, or from primary to core or any of the secondary taps to the core as far as I can tell.

I was planning to just snip off all the secondary leads and ignore them, and just run the 117v AC primary coil as a DC series PSU filter choke in a CLC section.

"Gotcha. I was not sure what the deal was when sending DC through it instead of AC. I thought maybe the secondary coil might just sit there and do nothing."

The secondary would "just sit there and do nothing" if the current were purely DC. However, that is not the case when using the xfmr as a ripple choke. It will be passing the ripple current, and that will enable the shorted secondary to reduce the inductance, lead to more heating, and ultimately a progressive failure as more and more turns short out.

Miles Prower said:
"Gotcha. I was not sure what the deal was when sending DC through it instead of AC. I thought maybe the secondary coil might just sit there and do nothing."

The secondary would "just sit there and do nothing" if the current were purely DC. However, that is not the case when using the xfmr as a ripple choke. It will be passing the ripple current, and that will enable the shorted secondary to reduce the inductance, lead to more heating, and ultimately a progressive failure as more and more turns short out.

I am currently pounding my head against the workbench and going "DOH! DOH!" for not having thought of that... Thanx for the reality check.

Tweeker said:
How about cutting the cores and pulling out the burnt section, unless its interleaved or what have you? A little airgap will reduce inductance, but reduces saturation too.

Interesting idea. I guess I could chop out the whole secondary coil since I don't need it! It is a Hammond tranny, sn i don't know about the interleved anything... but I can't brek it anymore than it already is!

That begs the question... what would the DC limits be for the normally AC primary winding. I asked Hammond for more detailed specs last week, but got no reply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.