• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6l6gc Tube Drive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK If I got this straight, with fixed bias (adjustable) the grid input impedance of either a 6V6 or 6L6 is 0.1megaohms (100K). So if a 12AX7 was used to drive a 6V6, it should drive a 6L6 as well. Where did you get 100M for grid resistance? BTW thanx for that great link!

As pointed out in the thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68001

A 12AX7 is commonly used in guitar amp applications to drive a 6L6. This was probably done originally for cost reasons and blindly copied for decades. If you are designing a HiFi amplifier, and flat frequency response without serious phase shift is important a tube with a lower plate resistance may be a better choice (12AU7, 12BH7, 12AT7, 6CG7, etc). Most guitar amps have little response above 10KHz.

The input resistance of a 6L6 (or most tubes) is very high until it is overdriven, then it drops like a rock. The overload characteristics of the driver in this case is one of the attributes that determine the sound character of a guitar amp when it is "cranked to eleven." The input of any tube is also capacitive, and the drivers ability to drive this capacitance is one of the factors that determine the frequency response of the amp.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mrhotmark,
It's more a question of capacitance instead of resistance. In class AB2 you drive the grids positive and the impedance drops like a stone.

So you need to qualify the circuit, single ended, push pull AB1 or AB2 (or A even). In class AB1 you can go near the grid bias voltage as a peak value. So for a bias of -40V, the drive might be +/- 40V peak.

A tube manual is a help here. It'll give an approximate capacitance as well.

-Chris
(I've been lost in a vortex - miss me?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.