• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Tracer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of a follow-up webzine article to the micro-processor controlled tube tracer in AX. A lot of tubies, it seems, don't want to get near a microprocessor. Thus I got a couple of USB ADC/DAC cards from National Instruments/Measurement Computing and have been busily writing the code. Here's a screen-shot of the layout for the front panel. Since the flow-chart was already written, it isn't going to be a lot of work to finish it up.

I am open to suggestions. The programming is in Softwire which is a tool package for VB.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That looks awesome! I wondered if there was an opportunity to make use of these cards for a tracer. One suggestion, permit saving data in .csv or tab-delimited form, something compatible with OpenOffice, Gnumeric, etc.. Do you have a link to that webzine article?

rdf said:
That looks awesome! I wondered if there was an opportunity to make use of these cards for a tracer. One suggestion, permit saving data in .csv or tab-delimited form, something compatible with OpenOffice, Gnumeric, etc.. Do you have a link to that webzine article?

Softwire has a "Write Excel" and "Read Excel" functions, as well as "Write File". I hate parsing data files -- goes back to the Lotus 1-2-3 and Quattro-Pro days.

The interface is the easy part. Wait until you have to make the amplifiers! And then have them handle short circuits or other tube faults.

easyscope.gif

jh

hagtech said:
The interface is the easy part. Wait until you have to make the amplifiers! And then have them handle short circuits or other tube faults.

The GUI is the easy part, the programming (in VisualBasic.Net) not all that difficult. It gets a little tricky if you don't have some programming experience, or don't know how to set up and use arrays. If you are sending data all the time over a serial interface (as I did with the first article) you chew up a lot of time. Using VB.Net means that the tracer can be used on any operating platform (as compared with regular VB).

It isn't difficult to set default conditions in the program -- and to use both the program and fold-back current limiting to prevent "smoke".

The amplifiers (regulators) were easier this time using BJT's instead of MOSFETs. And everything is opto-coupled using HCNR200's to keep your laptop from getting fried!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.