• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Min. current draw for choke input?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have designed a choke input power supply for the driver stage of a little se amp. That's mainly because I have a second ht winding and choke input would come in handy to drop the voltage + gives a very fast ps (much faster than just 'hanging' it behind the output stage ps with a many K resistor and cap)... I am worrying about the minimum current draw however. There doesn't seem to be a definitive formula (one textbook says a rule of thumb is Imin = V / H) - the driver stage draws approx. 3mA; so with 240v and 60H we'll get around 4mA Imin... Not quite enough...:xeye:

Is there hope left for this configuration / did I forget something?
Is a choke input not suited for small current applications as fleapower set driverstages? :confused:

Thanks!:)

The quick answer is: NO.

A formula I always used is from Schade, given in "Radio Designer's Handbook" by F. Langford-Smith, chapter 30.3, equation (1). That states that for full-wave amplification and low current:

L should be equal to/greater than RL/6.pi.f

This translates to L = RL/940 for a 50 Hz supply (or L greater than...). [RL = total load on power supply]

Your rule-of-thumb is thus quite close. In your case RL appears to be 80K, which would indicate a minimum L of 85H. Thus an LC filter is never really economical for low current applications and hardly practical, where the disadvantages of a C-input filter (e.g. high peak charging current etc.) is minimal, and large serie resistors are practical.

How do you define a "fast" ps? (There is not much difference, for the same ripple, between an LC and a CLC filter, or for that matter a CRC, unless you mean something not in evidence here.)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
use a bleeder

Hallo Simon,
Yes, the solution has allready been given. Just ad a bleeder that will '' eat '' some extra current that is needed to make the power supply work as a real choke input. If the transformer can deliver the extra current it is not a problem to let the bleeder draw the same current as the pre-amp itself. De groeten, Eduard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.