• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power supply question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am building this PS

Circuit shows 25ma 600v selenium rectifiers (SR1, SR2). I was wondering if I should simply use a silicon diode or bridge rectifier in place of SRs.

A fullwave rectifier is taking advantage of both sides of the sine wave? Does it will make a difference here?

Also, don't know if I should go with fast recovery diodes, Standard Recovery, or Glass Passivated, or etc.

Thanks for the help folks. I surely appreciate it!
HugoR

My intent was to use silicon diodes. But seeking for more info about using simple diode vs bridge rectifier. Also seeking for info about diodes type: fast recovery, std recovery, Glass Passivated and Schottky... What type to use in audio.

Thanks for any and all help.
Hugo

sr1/2 are bias supply half-wave rectifier diodes, right? You don't need 600V for those, but schottky type is okay. I'd ditch the dual gz34 for schottky diodes too, but then you will need 1200V type... Well unless you must use tube rectification. correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
You can almost certainly get away with 600V Schottky in place of those horrible selenium things, but I'd be distinctly nervous about replacing the GZ34 even with 1200V Schottky. I still remember the bright light that came from a bridge rectifier using 600V Schottky attempting to deliver 400V HT. The circuit had been carefully simulated in PSUD and although it was close to the limits, it was below all of them even at simulated switch-on. Clearly, reality was a little different. I went back to using ordinary (robust) diodes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.