Please Tell Me How To Modify And Upgrade My Music Angle 845 Amplifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2005, 03:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Please Tell Me How To Modify And Upgrade My Music Angle 845 Amplifier?

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO MODIFY AND UPGRADE MY MUSIC ANGLE 845 AMPLIFIER? WHICH 845 TUBE IS BETTER AND GOOD SOUND ?

THANK YOU
Old 7th November 2005, 01:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default 845 Upgrade

Start by Tube rolling.
Replace the 6N9P used for the SRPP front end with a 6SL7
Bigggest immediate improvement from replacing the 6N8P driver and substituting 6SN7.
Bypass that 22uF Electrolytic in the driver cathode with a 220nF/400V polypropylene capacitor.
Bypass that 4.7uF Polyester cap on the SRPP supply with a 47nF or 100nF polyproylene.
After that its redesign / rebuild time to extract further improvements.
OH almost forgot some of these amps exhibited a hum problem - If yours does then bypass the cathode resistor in the bottom triode in the SRPP.
Check the bias, exactly 1 volt across the 12 Ohm 845 cathode ressitors is 83 mA which is 75 Watts Anode dissipation (The 845 Anode Voltage is 890V on Aussie 250V AC Mains Input). Thats the maximum I'd feel safe running.

Here is the schematic. - looks like a fairly ORDINARY circuit BUt these amps with the above minimal mods actually sound very good indeed. Would probably make a good platform for a front end / driver redesign (say 6SN7 followed by 6V6/EL34 in Triode Mode. or even 6AU6).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 845_schem.jpg (57.7 KB, 231 views)
Old 7th November 2005, 06:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default IT'S A 845 AMP ORIGINAL SCHEMATIC HERE

YES, I WILL UPGRADE AND REPLACE THE CAPS AND THE CABLE OF THIS 845 AMPLIFIER . I AM LOOKING FOR SOME NICE RUSSIAN MADE 845 TUBES, BUT MAY PRETTY EXPENSIVE THAN CHINESE MADE TUBE.

IT'S A 845 AMPLIFIER ORIGINAL SCHEMATIC HERE :

http://cgi.ebay.com/845-SINGLE-END-C...QQcmdZViewItem

THANK YOU

HAVE A NICE DAY
Old 7th November 2005, 07:18 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hififactory,

Caps lock key off please... no need to yell.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!