Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2005, 08:07 PM   #1
HugoR is offline HugoR  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default 6AN8 tube question

I am building a circuit from an old (1961) article in "Electronics World". Stereo, dual 5AR4, 7591 in PP AB1, 0A3 for screen regulation and 6AN8 for gain/phase splitting.

5AR4 and 7591 are JJ (current production) and have heard that they sound very good. Already bought, think I will be pleased with those.

0A3 and 6AN8 still not purchased. I can find RCA for 0A3 and I have let myself offer 2 Marconi-Citation and 2 Channel Master. I want to alternate 6AN8's pair for my personal appreciation. I will ask for triode matching 5% tolerance.

Can I substitute 6AN8 with 6AN8A or 6GH8A.

Don't know Channel Master tubes except they are manufactured by Matsushita, Japan. Any comments.

Note: I am located in Canada and have a lot of hard fun to find NOS tubes here.

Your comments are appreciate.
Thanks.
HugoR
Old 2nd November 2005, 08:46 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

SND in the US has NOS 6AN8 and 6AN8A at very attractive prices. No problem getting them to Canada, I would guess. IIRC, the difference between the 6AN8 and 6AN8A is warm-up time, with the "A" being specified.
Old 2nd November 2005, 11:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

6AN8/A has a unique pinout, with no other subs, so you'll want to get a few spares. 7199 is the classic choice for this circuit - another unique pinout. 6GH8 isn't as linear, but that won't matter much in a split-load phase inverter. 6BL8 might be better, same pinout as 6GH8. I have been meaning to try 6BH8, 6AU8, 6BA8 for this.
Old 3rd November 2005, 01:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

As explained above, the 6AN8 has a unique pinout and there is no direct substitute (except for the 6AN8A). If you are building the amp from scratch, I would suggest wiring the socket up to accept the tubes that are pin compatible with the 6U8. These include the 6U8, 6EA8, 6BL8, 6GH8, and others. That way you have many different tubes to choose from.

I am not familiar with your particular circuit, but I built a clone of an old Scott Laborotory Standard amplifier that used a 6BL8 as a gain stage / phase splitter driving EL34's although I used KT88's. I tried numerous tubes in this circuit, adjusting the resistor values for best operation with each particular tube. The best sounding standard tube was the 6BL8 with the best sounding brand being Amperex. There was a 4 digit " boutique" tube that was sold as a replacement for the 6BL8. It looked nothing like the 6BL8, but sounded really good. Unfortunately, they were in the amp when I sold it, and I can't find the number.

Hide this!Advertise here!