• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Suddenly, no output from Copland CTA-501

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, and I am happy to have found and joined your forum.
Initially I was wanting to find out about biasing the valves, which I have since found threads on.

However, I was dismayed to fire up my Copland CDA-288 CD player going into the CTA-501 and I heard nothing, nada, zilch.

The amp seems to power up OK, and all the valves are still well lit but there is no sound whatsoever coming through to the speakers.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

I am new to valve amps, and am totally lost about where to begin the diagnostic process.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Regards
Kevin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi & welcome Kevin,
Unplug an RCA plug from the CD and touch the end lightly. Sound?

If not. Turn the amp off and let it sit for 1/2 hour. Check all connections. Then check for blown fuses.

Also, did you adjust the bias? If so, turn it back down or back where it was. Do you leave it running all the time (my opinion - don't)?

Do you have a meter, if so what type? How much experience do you have with electronics?

Have you read this ?

Do not do anything until you have.

-Chris

Hi Chris

I was just about to consider looking at the bias when the whol eamp went down, although to be fair, I was slightly reluctat to, given my very modest electronics experience, and the fact that one has to do it with the amp powered up !

I've got a modest multimeter and haven't dismantled the amp to look at fuses yet.

Anyway, to answer your first question: yes, when I touch the positive pin of both L+R RCAs (from CD player side) I get a humming noise. Is this 'good' ?

Thoughts ?

Cheers
Kevin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kevin,
The fact you got a hum by touching the end of the RCA would seem to indicate the amplifier is working. Short of hooking up a signal generator, load, 'scope and meter to measure the gain, it's a quicke test.

Turn everything off, redo the connections one by one and try it again. If it still doesn't work, try another CD player. The setup is so simple it has to be something simple.

-Chris

Half curiosity, half desperation, I took your advice, stripped everything down and re-connected. And guess what...it's working again !?

That is the spookiest experience I have had in 20 years of hi-fi !!

I'm gonna leave it on for a few hours and see what happens, fingers crossed, and crack open a beer and toast you !

I wonder what caused that total shutdown ?

Kevin

"no fault found"

In some case's it was the operator! Not the original poster tho! :)
As DigitalJunkie posted, I'd say the next time it happens wiggle/change/use a different pair of interconnects from the CD Player to the amp.
A few nights ago I was listening to my muzac and all of a sudden the left channel slowly faded into silence! :bigeyes: I RAN to my toob amp to look for a frying output tube, toobs OK. Wiggled volume control, selector switch, noop! Interconnects wiggled, found it! I've learned a lot of times in the repair business it the simplest of things and the cause of major headaches, time and money!
Glad you REPAIRED IT all by yourself! crossfingers

Wayne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.