• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wim's DC EL84 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EW published several d.c. coupled EL84 amps designed by Kees Heuvelman and Wim de Haan in January 2001. Wim has a link on his page to the design. Here's the link:

http://www.wdehaan.demon.nl/tubeamps/el84dc/index.html

Here's a first cut at a pcb

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i'm open to suggestions -- i am sure there are probably some glithces in the above.

will furnish the Gerber files to anyone who asks -- I am only going to burn one board for my own use.

Hi Jack,

At first sight:
The cathode resistors dissipate a lot of heat. I think a heatsinked version would be a better choice. Anyway, the footprints look too small.
The heaters' tracks for the ELs might be thicker and routed "one on top of another" with the same current flow direction.

Regards,
Milan

P.S. Nice article in AudioXpress.

moamps said:
Hi Jack,
At first sight:
The cathode resistors dissipate a lot of heat. I think a heatsinked version would be a better choice. Anyway, the footprints look too small.

Yes, they should dissipate ~ 10 W.

The tracks for the heaterers are mostly 60 mils -- will have to give this some thought -- for the boards I do myself I like to have as much as possible on the bottom layer.

The EL84 DC amp is going to power my St. Emillion Horns (in a modified wooden Bordeaux wine-box.)

Thanks for the compliment -- National did all the heavy lifting, however.

Hello jackinnj

I'm working on the same schematic, without PCB. So, this is my version: (I used ecc 83 instead of ecc85). I'm still working on the box. (I don't know the english word, "chassis" in french).
Ciao!

Attachments

• elb4cir1.jpg
    elb4cir1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,257
kopite said:
Hello Jack, nice job.
Which version of the ECC85 is it? I think Wim goes on to say that the version with the better ccs doesn't need feedback. Is yours it?
Thanks,

Phil.
This is version 4 -- with the ECC88 current source -- but I am going to outboard the -150V/+206V supply -- so both halves of the ECC88 are used for two amps on one board.

Dave -- I agree, the 60 mil trace width will poop out under the pressure of 7 tubes in parallel.

OK, here's a 3D view -- I changed the resistors to the TO-220 style (Ohmite or Caddock, non-inductive) with heat sink -- they now take up a lot more space. I also removed the heater traces. Note that I try to take the grounds to the center of the board. I also use a "via" for connecting the top-layer traces -- helps when you are DIY'ing a board to have the darned hole there.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here's the PCB:

jackinnj said:

This is version 4 -- with the ECC88 current source -- but I am going to outboard the -150V/+206V supply -- so both halves of the ECC88 are used for two amps on one board.

Dave -- I agree, the 60 mil trace width will poop out under the pressure of 7 tubes in parallel.

Hi

I'd sugest to connect both EL84 cathodes to each other, and leave the decoupling caps out.

This requires tightly matched valves and good DC balance from the driver.

best

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Link to article here: http://www.wimdehaan.nl/downloads/dccoupledamp.pdf

FWIW other comments not withstanding I would build the circuit as described in the article, and then modify if so inclined. High quality cathode bypass caps are a must however..

The meter is used to establish overall DC balance in the amplifier. Meter is a 50uA-0-50uA type as mentioned in the early paragraphs of the article.

Last edited:
The article is based on one assumption: (quote of the author)
" I believe that coupling capacitors have a major influence on the overall sound quality of an amplifier."

Have we so far got any evidence that this would be the case ?
I have not seen such.

That could be an interesting and distinctive project to build, but the test results published at the article do not show any excellence over normal construction with coupling capacitors.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The article is based on one assumption: (quote of the author)
" I believe that coupling capacitors have a major influence on the overall sound quality of an amplifier."

Have we so far got any evidence that this would be the case ?
I have not seen such.

That could be an interesting and distinctive project to build, but the test results published at the article do not show any excellence over normal construction with coupling capacitors.

Actually I believe this based on long experience designing audio gear, but I also believe it is much easier to find an electrically blameless and good sounding film coupling cap than it is to find an equally good sounding cathode bypass cap regardless of cost. (By good sounding I mean transparent, and audibly artifact free. And yes I have done some single blind testing with coupling caps and a small listening panel. The result of that is that I now use mostly teflon/foil coupling caps. The Russian FT-3 is good and not too expensive a place to start. I use TFTs and Vcaps mostly.)

Last edited:
I got rid of a gain stage (and thus a coupling cap) in my power amp because my preamp has enough gain, and that really cleared things up. So much so I got very interested in dc coupling. But no 'scientific evidence'..

(And I started thinking..)

Everyone will agree looking through an open window gives a better view then through glass. You can debate which sort of glass is the clearest, but no glass is always better..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.