• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wim's DC EL84 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I never got mine to work

I build a final using the ECC85 + ECC88 (PSU+CCS) + EL84s and used it for 1 year without any problem, this 'normal' hours say 8 hours a week. Than this amplifier passed to one of collegues and he used it over the last say 8-10 years without any problems (in fact he is still suing using it now), he changed some years ago the tubes, not because they failed working, but just because he wanted some new tubes. So design seems very reliable.

Wim, author of the orginal EW+WW article

HV delay DC coupled designs

These DC coupled circuits will only work with a delay of the High Voltage, so first the heaters, than after 30 sec. the High Voltage
In the article it is mentioned that de HV supply should have a delay of at least 30 seconds. I made a little timer circuit with a delay of 1 minute. But 2 switches by hand works as well of course.
Normally I use floating heaters, this with two 100 resistors connected together with say a 1 uF capacitor to ground, works very well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.