• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need Advice with Timer Relay Shut Off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,

So, I have an issue I would like help solving.

I am currently running a 12 volt timer relay from my fillament regulator, schematic attached. I am taking the DC to feed the timer from the second filter cap in the regulator, which is working fine, albiet the voltage is a little high. When I power up, I have an approximate 30 second delay before the outputs are un-muted (if that is even a word???).

Now, my problem is this. When I turn off the power to the pre-amp, the delay does not immediately trigger (turn off = mute output). I assume this is due to the large capacitance of my filter caps, stored voltage, and slow discharge time. Now, if this is correct, I am wondering how do I solve the problem.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

Attachments

• fillament supply.gif
    fillament supply.gif
    12 KB · Views: 242
OK,

So it seems a seperate rectifier will be necessary...

With respect to this rectifier, and the suggestion of a diode and small cap...

From one leg of the AC or both, and bridge or not. For the cap, what size, maybe 100uF at the appropriate voltage? Could I simply attach a diode to one leg of the AC, filter it on a cap pulling the positive DC from the positive arm of the cap and taking the ground from the negative lead of the cap? Would I need to refference true ground in this set-up?

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

There are two parts to a solution for your problem.

First is to drop the relay immediately on power off. This can be done by using a DPST power switch. Use one pole for the AC power in the normal way and put the coil of the delay relay through the other pole.

If that is all you want, you are done. However, if you want to make sure that the relay will not pick if the power is immediately turned back on before the power supply has had a chance to bleed down you will need a more elaborate solution.

For this, you might consider some sort of 555 timer circuit - do an Internet search there are many out there. This will need a separate power supply like already mentioned. A single diode and small capacitor referenced to ground would be okay here. The size of the capacitor will depend upon the current draw of the relay, so choose it empirically. 100uF would be a good place to start.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

As the amp is currently, there is a 555 based timer circuit which can either open or close the relay (depending on configuration) after a set amount of time. So, at power on, the circuit begins to count out 30 seconds at which point it triggers the relay to OPEN, thus deactivating the outputs short to ground and thus un-muting the amp. At power off, the relay immediately returns to the original configuration, which will mute the outputs. The issue is that the power is slow to bleed, and this the trigger is not instantaneous with power off. I am going to try the diode and cap to see if this helps. It currently takes about 3-4 seconds after powering off before the voltage drops enough to reset the relay. This wouldn't be a problem, but the HV drops faster than that, and thus the output of the preamp jumps all over the place resulting in pops and bangs.... NOT a good thing!

I'll try to post the link to the relay I am using in a little bit...

Thanks,

Bryan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.