• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6C33 fixed/auto bias ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Konnichiwa,

altor said:
You are right, but I have no high voltage "p" mosfets, but have a huge quantity of the 200-800v N-mosfets :)

Given that you don't really need the low source impedance of the gyrator (having 1,000uF after it) you might simply make an "electronic choke" circuit, which can be in the negative line, use N-Channel devices and allows a defined and reasonable "DCR" as well....

altor said:
Driver circuit - is the thing that I'm working now

Very nice work.

altor said:
The previous results that I have (with autobias - i/e/ RC in the cathode) were:
anode power supply: 370v
cathode current: 30mA
plate voltage: 185v
Gain: 65
Frequency range (-3dB): 4.2Hz-527.3 kHz
Max output swing: 309v p-p (109V RMS)
Signal to noise releted to the input: 74dB.
Output impedance: 2.7k

Now I change some values, got Gain=60, the sound better.

Nice one. Looks like I have to try this one....

Sayonara

tubetvr said:

No parallell tubes, only one pair

So, you are working "out of spec", because the maximum peak plate current is 0.6A

You can't and any reasonable OTL works in AB1, two 6C33C tubes in inverted Futterman configuration give ~10.5ohm output impedance and then you use feedback to reduce output impedance to desired value.

Regards Hans

OK, thanks. I understand youre design, and I know Futterman, Circlotron ant other OLT topologies.

Unfortunately, I'm not interesting in the amplifiers with NFB.

So, you are working "out of spec", because the maximum peak plate current is 0.6A

The max continous current is specified as 0.6A, the average current of each tube is 0.8A when pushing the amplifier to the limit with a continous sinewave which is not a normal situation when playing music where average power is 10 - 20dB lower than peak so in reality it is not a problem.

Unfortunately, I'm not interesting in the amplifiers with NFB
That is too bad, can you explain why?

Regards Hans

this is applicable only for tubes manufactured before 1975 by Svetlana ...

For me it is not clear what you mean by that statement, are you saying that Svetlana 6C33c are better than others?

Most of the 6C33C I have used are made at the Ulyanov factory and have been 100% reliable. I had one earlier tube that I believe was made at Svetlana but that failed on first power up with a short between cathode and grid, but it is the only failure I have had of more than 30 tubes.

Regards Hans

dimitri said:
old (Svetlana) tubes had gilded grids, better cathode and mil acceptance. short between cathode and grid is the way for modern Russian tubes, after 1991

I know :)
But I say about 80th, not 90th....

And I didn't see any problems with "-B" marked tubes of 80th, even at 80W plate power (i'm not use this mode, but tested).

Some tubes without "-B" were drifted even at 62-64W, even with autobias. One of these tubes, when the power was higher then 53W - after 15min has near 800mA plate current with -100v at the grid!

Dimitri wrote:
this is applicable only for tubes manufactured before 1975 by Svetlana ...
and also:
old (Svetlana) tubes had gilded grids, better cathode and mil acceptance. short between cathode and grid is the way for modern Russian tubes, after 1991

So how can we interpret this?, are tubes manufactured before 1975 good or is it enough to look for tubes manufactured before 1991?

All the 6C33C I have used are manufactured between these years, I am really doubtful if there are any 6C33C manufactured after 1991.

Victor Khomenko at BAT has explained that they discover faults in about 1% of all 6C33C tubes and the most common fault is a grid to cathode short, however for tubes that survives the burn in and the first few hours of service the service life is very long, I have the same experience.

Altor wrote:

Some tubes without "-B" were drifted even at 62-64W, even with autobias.
Even more sense then to follow the advice not to exceed 40-45W of anode dissipation with fixed bias for long life.

Hi

The power dissipation of the tube an its temperature has a big influence on it's lifetime. At 60w the lifetime is around 700h and at 45w 2000h, keeping it below temperature limits will also increase lifetime (some datasheet say more than 3000h).
Keep the tube cool by placing them so that they have a 3inch radius each, this will give them space to radiate the heat to.

The four tubes i use, is un matched an they dont drift more than a +- 3ma, and it takes 15 to 20 minutes to settle after power up.
(i will check production year when i get home, think they are Ul'janovsk , found on ebay 40$)

Best regards Kim Olesen

www.micro-io.dk /fotogalleri

No sense to use 60W tube with 40W power, there a lot of another tubes

I can see that we will never agree about this issue but let me ask you how long life you expect from a 6C33C? I have used the same tubes without adjustment in my OTL for more than 6 years with daily usage.

One more question, what alternative tubes do you recommend for an OTL that can operate with a peak current of more than 2.5A?

Regards Hans

KimBOlesen wrote:

The "hour rating" is only to get an idea of how long it keeps it's data ratings.

Yes I know, and for 6C33C it includes severe vibration requirements aso. How much disspation do you run your tubes on, I can see from the circuit diagram that you seem to run the tubes at 300V but at what current?

The requirements and stress on the tubes is very different in an OTL and a SET amp.

In the OTL you have relatively low average dissipation, in my case less than 40W but the peak current requirements are very high e.g ~2.5A when giving 25W in 8ohm.

Even when playing close to clipping the dissipation doesn't much exceed the one at idle as the peak to average of ordinary music is very high, at least 10dB but more close to 20dB.

In a SET however it is completely different with max anode dissipation at idle.

Another requirement in an OTL amp is that you want minimum DC drift as you want to use direct coupling to the speaker.

Regards Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.