• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

where to find 600v 18awg wire??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i need to extend the lead wires from the transformers in the amp im putting together...... the only thing i can find is 300v wire.... where can i get the 600v??

also, does anyone know if they make connectors for tube sockets instead of having to solder the lead wires to them??

If your having real trouble sourcing hi-voltage wire there is a generally available alternative. You can use the core of coaxial sat cable. This can be used with or without the screen. If using the screen simply earth it to the nearest earth point at one end only. It is possable to get similar cable with multi stranded cable inside, but this is generally harder to get hold of.

Hope that is useful.
Shoog

600 volt wire

Any commercial electrician will have THHN or THWN oil-resistant wire on large spools. Rated at 600 volt but is good for much higher. I use it as ignition secondary cable on gas stove ignitors. 18 gauge is a little rare for an electrical contractor but since color does not matter to you they should have scads of "scrap" you can get. Should be about $.18 per foot.

only thing ive found locally was 14awg hard wire (oil resistant).... but i need something stranded that is easy to bend and move.... the hard wire that ive found would be a nightmare to work with

im going to try an electrical supply shop that i found out about on monday ..... maybe they'll have it

Apex Jr said:
JDBROCIOUS:

I stock 18 AWG teflon silver plated 600V wire
it's .15ft $14.00/100ft

Also stock a Potter & Brumfield 27E122 8 pin
socket with 4 screws on each side. (No Soldering)
Pictured on my website under the misc page
Socket section 8th picture down.
Large picture here...
http:www.apexjr.com/images/PotterSocket.jpg

Steve @ Apex Jr.
www.apexjr.com

what is the minimum you take for orders??? i only need a few feet of it, 5 ft would be sufficient....

im using 9 pin tubes and i have already bought chassis mounted tube sockets, i am just trying to find a quick disconnect that will make it easy for me to do upgrades..... as it is now, i would have to desolder the lead wires to the tube sockets in order to pull out the PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.