ASC Polypropylene And Oil Capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2005, 09:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ASC Polypropylene And Oil Capacitors

I am planning to use a pair of these ASC oil filled caps in an amp's power supply.
Can they be mounted horizonally and opposed to vertically?
If you know....Thanks for a reply, BTW my new license plate came in this week...dr._sleep
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st October 2005, 10:54 PM   #2
Bill*B is offline Bill*B  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice tag. I used a couple of these (100 uf - vertical mount) in my last power supply and they work just fine. I don't see why you could not mount them any way you please. GE used to make horizontal mounting clamps, but I've had trouble finding a source for them. I'd like to mount a pair under the deck on my current "work in progress" preamp, but may have to go the vertical route for lack of suitable clamps. Bill.
Old 21st October 2005, 11:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks and may Wilma skirt you and yours.

dr._sleep

status post: Kitrina and Rita
Old 21st October 2005, 11:56 PM   #4
Bryan is offline Bryan  United States
diyAudio Member

The ASC caps can be mounted in either configuration, and the clamps can be had from Mouser and I think digikey. If they don't have the specific size you need, ASC would probably send you some.

I've had GREAT luck with the ASC oilers. They are wonderful sounding, and MUCH MUCH better than electrolytic, IMHO.

The folks at ASC are also VERY helpful, should you need something custom designed...

Hope that helps.

Bryan
Old 22nd October 2005, 01:59 AM   #5
wa4htz is offline wa4htz  United States
diyAudio Member

dr._sleep,

Louisiana! And you're still here??!!! Good on ya!!! Hope you didn't suffer too much damage.

Bill*B,

Just a wee bit south of you in Ruskin. Hope we still have Internet service (and houses) next Tuesday!

Good info on the ASCs. Will definitely keep them in mind for the power supply of my Aikido preamp.

Ken
Old 22nd October 2005, 02:14 AM   #6
RIP

If you're worrying about ASC caps being mounted horizontally, you must be away from the coast. My brother is in Slidell and got off lucky...only a foot of water in the house and every tree lost. Give my regards to your fellow cajuns. They're a hardy bunch.
Old 22nd October 2005, 03:10 AM   #7
Bill*B is offline Bill*B  United States
diyAudio Member

WA4HTZ - hi, guy! Good luck with your Aikido - I'm building one, too.

All - finally located a source for Mallory horizontal mounting clamps to fit a 2.5" round capacitor - type RB - they are at Newark and are Newark part number 95F2822.
Old 22nd October 2005, 03:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

Where can you get the ASCs?

Regards,
Bill
Old 22nd October 2005, 03:35 AM   #9
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFiNutNut
Hi guys,

Where can you get the ASCs?

Regards,
Bill

Try Ebay. There is a guy that sells the 100uf for USD $9.50 each.
Old 22nd October 2005, 10:34 PM   #10
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill*B
... GE used to make horizontal mounting clamps, but I've had trouble finding a source for them. I'd like to mount a pair under the deck on my current "work in progress" preamp, but may have to go the vertical route for lack of suitable clamps. Bill.

For horizontal mounting you can use pipe clamps (not hose clamps); the kind that have a flat side with a hole for screwing them to a wall to hold a water or drain pipe. They can be had in various sizes up to about 3". Most home stores carry them.

Hide this!Advertise here!