Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2005, 06:52 AM   #1
GAR1969 is offline GAR1969  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Has anyone built this 'Svetlana Six Pack' ?

I am going to build 2 of these monoblocks and would like to know if anyone else has tried it.Or if you guys have any comments on the circuit. Be nice now......

http://216.87.144.102/svetlana/TechB...chnoteNo50.asp
Old 20th October 2005, 07:04 AM   #2
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

OH! All those bottles and what a power ... I would go for a different project but that's a matter of personal preference

Ciao
Gianluca
Old 20th October 2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Will is offline Will  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I've heard similar design of these sort of multiple 6550 tubes... IMHO it's better to invest your money in a higher efficiency speaker and build a simple lower power amplifier be it SET or PP amp...
Old 20th October 2005, 08:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I wonder how it would stack-up against Dogzilla?
Old 20th October 2005, 08:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

"I wonder how it would stack-up against Dogzilla?"

I don't think you can compare. Dogzilla was designed to be a guitar amp, and the Svetlana Six Pack wasn't. Still, why parallel up all those tubes instead of getting a pair of xmtr finals that could do the same job with a single pair? There are plenty of options for that.

Given that, who really needs that much power for home use. I have a project in the works that'll give 26WPC, and I don't believe I'll be going any higher. I'm not looking to fill a stadium with sound here.
Old 20th October 2005, 09:52 AM   #6
Yvesm is online now Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

... And you'll need to build 5 units for Home Cinéma in order to clearly listen dynosors farting

Yves.
Old 20th October 2005, 11:25 AM   #7
GAR1969 is offline GAR1969  United States
diyAudio Member

I already have everything except the power transformers ,a few caps and the 6550's. I know most say it's a waste of money to build but i have bought some decent components for it. Riken and roederstein resistors . Jensen CFPO ,wima and Solen caps.Silver hookup wire ,cardas connectors.

One question i have, is it better to use the 9 1000uf 200v smaller caps in the PSU or 6 1500uf 450v caps. The 1500's are 3"diam x 5" tall and the 1000's are 1.5"diam x 1.25" tall.

For home theater i'm building 5-Aleph 2 clones.

Thanks
Glen
Old 20th October 2005, 01:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to philipbarrett
Further down the Svetlana technical bulletin page is an interesting piece on using a 6D22S as a rectifier.

PB
Old 20th October 2005, 01:29 PM   #9
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Building an amp is expensive. Choosing a design is difficult as the end result can be an expensive mistake. I heard many so-so sounding tube amps and a few great amps. Once one hears a great amp, an average amp is basically unlistenable for any period of time.

Triode connected power tetrodes tubes sounds better than any pentode or tetrode per my experience. The best sounding true triode in my limited experience is the 45 tube. I prefer push-pull, but that slight almost chorus type sonics in the midrange of a SET has many followers. It boils down to what one is used to listening to that will form so many opinions on audio gear.

I find push-pull more dynamic & simply used to push-pull amp sonics. The best push-pull amp I used is either the PP 45 or PP 6V6GT triode connected. Both amps used same parts, simular audio transformers & power supply design. Both amps used higher quality parts.

To achieve the best sonics, the type of preamp & phase splitter tube will make or break an amp no matter how expensive the parts or using best quality power tubes. Even the rectifier tube has an impact on the sound.

Not being negative here. As for explaining my findings, 99% of readers will dismiss what I or others state anyways. So, put your question on top of my findings and you have basically little insight. I usually do not believe much of what I read & at times find someones opinion was right.
Old 20th October 2005, 05:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

"Building an amp is expensive."

Tell me about it.

"Choosing a design is difficult as the end result can be an expensive mistake."

I certainly hope that is not the case with my project: I'd be pist aplenty. Still, I did my research and believe I've picked one fine final (807, class AB(1) ). From everything I could gather, 807s will work for what I listen to most of the time (Metal, Techno, other hard rock). Hopefully, others will agree.

Still, how bad could it possibly sound? I've been doing amps since the ninth grade, including one VT design that was all "wrong", according to the popular wisdom, and even that one sounded really good. Of course, I ripped out its guts for parts for the new amp.

"The best push-pull amp I used is either the PP 45 or PP 6V6GT triode connected."

Been hearing quite a bit from a wide variety of sources about 6V6s. That's definitely going to be my next project.

Hide this!Advertise here!