• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

CT design trans application

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Could someone tell me if I can use a transformer with center tapped secondaries when the schematic doesn't specify CT?

Because the Hammond 278CX power trans doesn't have a 5V filament for the rectifiers, I have to purchase a separate filament transformer for the LV. Choices are the following:

1. Low voltage PC board mount (low profile), split bobbin design, dual winding sec, non-concentrically wound, low prim to sec coupling (no electrostatic shield required), hi-pot of 2500V rms, class B insulation 130 degree C

or

2. Open style filament & LV rectifier use trans, all sec center tapped VAC, open style, dual bobbin design (no electrostatic shield required), class B insulation, hi-pot test of 2000V rms

The schematic calls for 5V, no CT. So I don't know if the CT would cause an issue. Do I need 10VCT to get 5V on either side of the CT to ground if I use a CT filament trans.

Your comments are appreciate.
Thanks
HR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.