Oh man, my telefunken stoops... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2005, 08:11 PM   #1
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Default Oh man, my telefunken stoops...

Hi,

I have no doubt this is a Telefunken...but it looks like Chinese ****. Anyway i'm going to give tube rectification a try, just curiosity, my amp sounds good with the SS bridge.

I'm doing a hybrid bridge, see this;

http://www.lundahl.se/hybrid_pow.html

Some questions:

Would it be a good thing to bypass the diodes with 0.22 1000 V poly caps?

Am i going to lose many volts? Right now i'm using a full SS bridge and my B+ is 168V.

Maximun value for the first cap? Datasheet doesn't say.

Well, this is all, thanks in advance for the help.

Oh, forgot to say,it's a AZ11.

Al.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg az 11.jpg (20.2 KB, 380 views)
Old 18th October 2005, 04:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Al,

why?

do you have seperate filament winding?

what is the az11?? a quick look on the web found az11 amd mother boad and a 1938 vintage full wave rectifier and no real info. you could loose some volts on B+

eg 5AR4 @ 225ma has about 17volts drop accross it at other conditions thi will be different.

http://www.pentalaboratories.com/pdfs/5ar4.pdf

bypass caps are a good thing, I would have chosen small value .047 but! depends what you want to acheive.

Robert
Old 18th October 2005, 08:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
do you have seperate filament winding?
Yes.

Quote:
what is the az11??
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...076/a/AZ11.pdf

Anyway it looks like the leaning tower of Pissa, maybe an Italian would be interested in a swap?

Al.
Old 18th October 2005, 08:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey moderators ****a is an Italian city.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pissa_.jpeg.jpg (15.2 KB, 226 views)
Old 18th October 2005, 08:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stalker
Hey moderators Pissa is an Italian city.
It' s "Pisa", one "s" only...
Old 18th October 2005, 09:16 AM   #6
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

And lots of Italian towers lean. There are two in Bologna that used to be the same height, but one has been shortened to allow what remains not to collapse due to its inclination.
Old 18th October 2005, 11:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Al,

maybe EC8010 could correct me but looking at the curves (my German is no existent!) depending on secondary resistance and load there would appear to be a fairly larg voltage drop accross the AZ11 over 44V at 100ma depending on Es, Is and Rs and you indicated your supply was 168v wont that lower your B+ too much?

the site I found had sod all info on the rectifier, interresting.
Old 19th October 2005, 12:06 AM   #8
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Robski666
Hi Al,

maybe EC8010 could correct me but looking at the curves (my German is non-existent!) depending on secondary resistance and load there would appear to be a fairly large voltage drop accross the AZ11 - over 44V at 100ma depending on Es, Is and Rs and you indicated your supply was 168v won't that lower your B+ too much?
Your confidence is flattering. I looked up the curves at Frank's site (was redirected to AZ1) but didn't know what current and reservoir capacitance to apply.
Old 19th October 2005, 01:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi EC8010, Al,

On page 2 there is a graph with voltage and current curves in the top lh is some data which i can gleen 16uf, thats the only reference to a capactor value I can see.

Robert
Old 19th October 2005, 08:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Robski666,

Quote:
depending on secondary resistance and load there would appear to be a fairly larg voltage drop accross the AZ11 over 44V at 100ma depending on Es, Is and Rs and you indicated your supply was 168v wont that lower your B+ too much?
I'm using a 6W6 for the moment, i used to have a 6AS7, but this one to my ears sounds best.
The 6W6 is a high current, low voltage tube. Right now, with 153 V at the plate and 44mA of current dissipates about 6 Watts (maximum for this tube is 10 Watts) , haven't measured the power output but guess is around 2 Watts (triode connected) more than enough with my 97 dB driver. The 6W6 datasheet says that with 110V at the plate and a current of about 50mA will put out 2.1 dissipating less than 6 Watts. This pentode connected.
Now i have two choices, leave it as a pentode and use it as a guitar amp or still use it as a triode raising the current to 80mA, dissipating about 8 Watts. My problem is i don't know the maximun current for this tube, datasheet doesn't say.

16 uF?
Quite low, right now with 47uF-330R-47uF-6.8K R- 100uF i have a little of hum. Doesn't bother me, didn't even tried grounding the filaments. With 16 uF i probably will need to buy a choke. No problem...will see.

Thank you guys, you've been helpful. I'll try 80mA and watch the tube, i have learned that they show strange colors when overstressed.

Al.

Hide this!Advertise here!