A question about Cathodyne/split load/concertina PI's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2005, 08:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A question about Cathodyne/split load/concertina PI's

I am trying to design an output stage with a minimal tube count. I have settled on the concertina splitter since it uses only one tube to so it's dirty work.

My problem is: I am having trouble visualizing I can inject NFB? Preceeding the splitter is a tone network that is fed from a cathode follower, and then a volume control, so I don't want to inject it into that stage since it will alter the foreward gain in the loop as the tone and volume controls are altered.

So I assume that I have to inject it into the concertina itself. I have drawn up a few variations. The .1uF capacitor I suppose is the culprirt in question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg split1.jpg (70.8 KB, 508 views)
Old 15th October 2005, 08:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Here is the second option

A variation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg split2.jpg (69.1 KB, 414 views)
Old 15th October 2005, 08:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Another permutation

Here is the third option
Attached Images
File Type: jpg split3.jpg (71.7 KB, 392 views)
Old 15th October 2005, 08:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Last try

Here is the final thought
Attached Images
File Type: jpg split4.jpg (70.5 KB, 395 views)
Old 15th October 2005, 08:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Be much easier to just use a LTP. The LTP has both inverting and non-inverting inputs, so there's a natural summing node for NFB. Since types like the 12A*7 series, the 6BQ7, etc. are all dual tridoes, the tube count doesn't change.

FWIW: avoid the 12AU7A. That one has horrible linearity and more distortion than you want.
Old 15th October 2005, 08:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, I am using the other half of the 12au7 for the preceeding stage cathode follower, that's why I went with concertina instead of LTP. I thought about subbing in a 12ax7 or 12at7 for the 12au7, but I'll deal with that later. It is the NFB that has me stumped.

Thanx
Old 15th October 2005, 09:43 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Negative feedback works by trading off gain for distortion/bandwidth/impedance. The problem is that your circuit has no gain to start with...

It's difficult-to-impossible to feedback to a split-load; generally, the split-load is driven by a gain stage and the feedback is brought back to that stage.
Old 15th October 2005, 09:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you have to go with the cathodyne, then your best bet would probably be something like what I attached. With the cathodyne, you really don't have a second input for the NFB summing node. So try something like the inverting connection that you'd use with an op-amp. In this case: Avcl= Rf/Rs (or close to it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg split1.jpg (40.3 KB, 434 views)
Old 15th October 2005, 10:03 PM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

BTW, when you revise the circuit, make sure that the lower output is taken from the top of the load resistor, not from the load plus cathode resistor.
Old 15th October 2005, 10:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
BTW, when you revise the circuit, make sure that the lower output is taken from the top of the load resistor, not from the load plus cathode resistor.

I have seen them noth ways, with the signal coming off the junction of the loadresistor/cathode resistor, and with the signal coming off the junctuin of the cathode trsistor/cathode.

Is there a benefit in doing it the other way? Possibly an impedance issue that I am missing?

Hide this!Advertise here!