Kofi Annan in: "Hummin' Trafo Blues" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2005, 07:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kofi Annan in: "Hummin' Trafo Blues"

So, just installed Dave's (Planet 10's) phase plugs and started up the phono pre and suddenly, without warning, the power transformer started humming like it was in a barbership quartet. Its pretty loud.

I engaged in the wiggle test, which consists of me wiggling the transformer until it stopped humming. A hard wiggle-and-hold move to the right stopped the humming altogether, but I don't really enjoy music when I have to hold on to the transformer to listen to it.

Its still putting out the correct voltage and the circuit works. Its just humming.

Bad.

So, is it possible that a winding has shorted? I took the damn thing out of an old Piolt tube amp and its been working faithfully for several months now. I guess its possible that I'll be in the marker for a new transformer, but if that's the case, can I still operate it at my own risk for now?

I know. Bad idea. But I really want to listen to these thngs now!

Is it only me that this stuff happens to?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Your pal,
Kofi
Old 15th October 2005, 09:52 PM   #2
RIP

If your transformer had shorted to its chassis, the name of this thread might have been Kofi Annan in: "The Jitterbug Blues"...which is why you always need to ground your transformer chassis.

I don't know what type of trafo it is, but if your voltages are still in the normal range, it's probably not electrical in nature, but mechanical.
Old 15th October 2005, 10:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't know what type of trafo it is, but if your voltages are still in the normal range, it's probably not electrical in nature, but mechanical.
Thanks! I actually moved the transformer back in the chassis a litle bit and that helped diminish the hum. The transformer doesn't get hot and the voltage is fine, just started to get hum.

Does this mean its OK to operate it this way? Also, since you alluded to a mechanical issue, what mechanical forces are in play that could cause this?

Thanks so much for your input!

Kofi
Old 16th October 2005, 07:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

El Bump-o
Old 17th October 2005, 01:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Well,since you say it's from an old Pilot tube amp,I'll assume it's a big E-I type of tranny..
Does it have bolts through it,to hold the core and endbells together?
Try tightening the bolts/screws that hold the core together,that will usually help,atleast a little.
Also,perhaps try tightening any metal chassis panels or anything near the tranny..Sometimes the magnetic field can make nearby metal parts vibrate a bit.
Old 17th October 2005, 02:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've also read of DC bias on the mains causing toroids to buzz.
Old 17th October 2005, 06:25 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kofi Annan
Does this mean its OK to operate it this way? Also, since you alluded to a mechanical issue, what mechanical forces are in play that could cause this?
If from a pilot it is an EI... some loose Es or Is can vibrate as the AC pours thru it causing a hum... make sure all the bolts that hold it together are tight.

dave
Old 17th October 2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

If from a pilot it is an EI... some loose Es or Is can vibrate as the AC pours thru it causing a hum... make sure all the bolts that hold it together are tight.

dave

Dave's advice is very good. I salvaged and old PT from a 60's console and it buzzed like crazy. I tried to tighten the bolts and they wouldn't move. Turns out the threads were stripped, apparently when someone tried removing the bells to paint it. I cut off the old bolts and put in new ones tightened down pretty well and the buzz was gone. (I just guessed at how tight to make things though. No idea if there was a certain ft/lb of torque to apply.)
Old 17th October 2005, 01:28 PM   #9
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

how about trying to remove Planet10's phase plugs?
Old 17th October 2005, 10:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Try tightening the bolts/screws that hold the core together,that will usually help,atleast a little.
Quote:
Quote:
Dave's advice is very good.
Screws tightened. Hum gone. Problem solved.

Thanks DIYAudio!

Kofi

Hide this!Advertise here!