• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which SE-ECL82 amp to build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I was looking for a nice and simple SE amp with one ECL82 per side and found two attractive circuits.
I would like ask the experts about these designs:
-are they operate in Class A?
-has any negative fead back in the circuits?
-which one is better? :)

Thanks and greets:

Tyimo

Attachments

• se-ecl82.jpg
    se-ecl82.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 724

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> -are they operate in Class A?

Yes, obviously.

> -has any negative fead back in the circuits?

No. (I won't count the cathode resistor in the first one.)

> -which one is better? :)

They are essentially THE SAME. Draw them both in the same style: very minor differences.

One BIG difference: #1 does not show a power supply, #2 does, and the #2 power supply as drawn is a death trap!!! It shows one side of the wall-power line connected to chassis. There no indication which side is utility-ground. It is uncertain which wall-socket pin is grounded (60% of my kitchen outlets had black and white reversed). The chassis is exposed to the users at the input connector, which makes the whole hi-fi system "electrically HOT". It can kill you or your children. And as drawn, turning the power switch Off ensures that the chassis will be "hot". Do not build that power supply as shown!!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think I would just build the more recent of the two circuits, supply decoupling looks to be marginally better in the newer design.

If you do build the earlier one do get a power transformer with about a 180-200V secondary as well as a filament winding. You can use a bridge rectifier, bear in mind the original halfwave rectifier would have dropped significantly more voltage than a full wave bridge.

The old power supply design as previously stated is extremely hazardous to put it mildly.:bigeyes:

Kevin

Hi!

the B+ runs directly from the mains

Giaime! Yes, you are right! I looked only the main-audio circuit section and not the whole circuit with the PSU... That PSU design was realy a "deadly joke" Thanks for the moderators that removed it from the schematic!

Kevin: Thanks! Which one do you mean: the Noel82, with coloured schem ? I would anyway build a better PSU for this amp.

Greets:

Tyimo

Hi Kevin!

Yes, a SE design featuring EL84 and ECC83 would be more discrete and could sound better, but than I would rather build a Parallel SE amp with one ECC83 and two EL84 to get a bit more output power and lower output impedance...this could be another thread :)
Have you any idea?

Tyimo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.