• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mullard EL34-Authenticity Verification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a newbie and a tube teller tries to convince me to buy a pair of Mullard EL34 as shown as the pic. Are they real Mullard EL34?

Attachments

• 2005101223142198585.jpeg
    2005101223142198585.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 427
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
CaliforniaBob said:
if there's a hole in the locator pin in the center of the bottom of the tube then it's a Mullard. I see a hole in the right tube. check the left tube for the hole.

Trouble is, it's not beyond the wit of forgers to drill a hole...

The printing seems rather smaller than usual. It's certainly different to my only remaining Mullard EL34.

I believe Mullard (yesteryear) took the trouble to print a code date of manuf on the tube. it's quite low down and pretty small.

Caveat Emptor.........I believe Sowtek or some other manuf in Russia recently bought the original Mullard logo and other rights. I don't agree with this.....So now the clones will be harder to distinguish for the real oldies and what happens next is anyones guess.

richj.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
richwalters said:
I believe Sovtek or some other manufacturer in Russia recently bought the original Mullard logo and other rights. I don't agree with this..... So now the clones will be harder to distinguish for the real oldies and what happens next is anyones guess.

I quite agree. You could expect a particular standard of performance from an old Mullard - and get onto the manufacturer (who had a reputation to protect) if it wasn't any good. To call current production a "Mullard" and use the original packaging is a sham.

A cursory glance at the plate structure looks sorta ok.

But I do agree that the manufacturer printing looks wrong, which would at least make me somewhat warey.

Sadly, all my own EL34's and EL37's are in storage at the moment so I can't directly compare them for you now. :(

Without being an EL34 "expert", however, the next thing I'd ask is what the dateodes are that are printed (or better yet - and more likely if genuine - "etched") onto the tube. A photo of the said datecodes would help with authenticity determination since I've seen some of the fakes, attempt to duplicate the datecodes too ( -- badly, fortunately).

If the EL34 does not have the codes, you are probably looking at something else non-mullard. (Though to be fair, sometimes, there was very faint printing.)

This vendor is claiming this particular set to be Mullards. They look very similar in structure to yours, but again, note the different printing.

Sorry my post wasn't of more help.

(P.S. I'm rather upset with the whole rebranding "legal sham" thing too grrr! :mad: )

Bottom view

Thanks for the authentication work. Fortunately I took a bottom-view pic on the day when I visited the shop. Maybe it will be more helpful to distinguish this eerie-looking Mullard. But anyway it is very cheap, less than $10.00 each. The vendor claims that he has gathered them from milltary warehouse junk.

Attachments

• mullard-el34(2).jpg
    mullard-el34(2).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 285
Re: Bottom view

Kenneth Zhu said:
Thanks for the authentication work. Fortunately I took a bottom-view pic on the day when I visited the shop. Maybe it will be more helpful to distinguish this eerie-looking Mullard. But anyway it is very cheap, less than $10.00 each. The vendor claims that he has gathered them from milltary warehouse junk.
At that price I would buy them all.

If people can fake $$ notes then the inevitable will occur with tubes and I remember all the rebranding that went on in the 50's and 60's.

As I see it........a last recourse is a good tube tester and double check reverse g1 to cathode leakage current (should be low uA) in standard operating conditions. A sloppy vacuum will immediately show up. This test is done by clone KT88 manufacturers and other specials to enable performance screening close to originals.
I can only presume the original Mullard EL34's was a highish vacuum tube.....the high B+ qualification and high value grid bias resistors I suppose is a clue. Perhaps someone can corrrect me-. but creating a good vacuum is expensive for manufacturers.

The same snags went with the 6550 group. The famed A version was a KT88 equivalent....too expensive to produce (I still consider this A tube to be the most durable audio tube ever made) and was degraded with lower vacuum to latter B & C versions that couldn't be pushed higher than 470V in UL.

Half a century ago I fell into the trap of obtaining Bentley EL34's which (unaware) were rebranded Mullard EL34's and Siemens. In the 1950's and 60's many people not-sure of tube rebranding (and thought they were poor quality) were using them as clay pigeon targets....lined up against the wall. One cringes! Never today.

richj

Hi everyone,

some thoughts that came across my mind reading this thread.. Please don't start throwing stones at me, but I need to symphatize a bit with the Russians at "New Sensor" :D

Of course I also dislike a bit the use of old names with high reputation (as Mullard) for their products, I think if someone really builds good quality tubes, they don't need a special name..

But, as one of the pictures shows, the new-manufactured russian "Mullards" clearly show a "made in Russia" label, so no one who doesn't want them needs to buy them.. Sometimes within this thread it sounds like "new sensor" tries to fake the old tubes and wants everyone to believe they are "originals".. And this isn't true, i think.

As a tube newbie I can't say much about the quality of the russian tubes, but shouldn't one notice positively that they at least BUILD new tubes? I mean, the "new old stock" resources won't last forever, at least if we continue to build so many amps :D :D :D

Greetings,
Andreas

But, as one of the pictures shows, the new-manufactured russian "Mullards" clearly show a "made in Russia" label, so no one who doesn't want them needs to buy them.. Sometimes within this thread it sounds like "new sensor" tries to fake the old tubes and wants everyone to believe they are "originals".. And this isn't true, i think.

Be that at it may, I can't help but wonder if New Sensor isn't doing this (wink, wink; nod, nod) knowing that some resellers are going to attempt to pull a fast one and sell the New Sensor "Mullards" as NOS. Of course, there's all too much of that going around audiophile circles. "NOS" ain't some magic word that guarantees quality. Fifty years ago, they were making 5 |-| 1 7 tubes. Unlike fine wines, they don't improve with age. Or they'll sell you these super-duper extra special 6SN7's, for example, for $300+ (because they have a bunch on hand to unload, and know audiophiles can be conned into buying the damnedest things).

It's not so egregious as the transistor counterfeiters (yet), as it's much easier to conceal the foul deed underneath a welded on steel cover.

Still, these Russian tubes seem to work quite well, as far as I can tell. Pay attention, see what really works for others, and decide accordingly. And ignore the hype.

Re: Re: Bottom view

whatsnext said:

At that price I would buy them all.
I think that's not bad advice!

SY said:
Majestic: An EL37 looks entirely different than an EL34, despite the common manufacturer. If you've got a stock of them, paint me envious.
Sadly, I only have one quartet, so you needn't be too green :D

SHiFTY said:
They are fake.
{...}
You have probably the russian ones, but you should definitely avoid them, as there is no way to know!
well, other than to listen to them of course :p

Rundmaus said:
Sometimes within this thread it sounds like "new sensor" tries to fake the old tubes and wants everyone to believe they are "originals".. And this isn't true, i think.
Well, I think it's also true that it's being done to sell more tubes. It's definately being done to cash in on the name, methinks. (Now if they were exact copies in terms of specifications, reliability AND sound, I'd cut them some slack on this, for sure)

I have a quartet of -- I think -- Ei, 'slimmies' from the late 80's. Branded "Mullard", of course :rolleyes: . But they actually sounded ok. A bit lightweight in the Bass, but the mids and highs were quite nice. (I think I even preferred them to a set of Siemens)

Rundmaus said:
As a tube newbie I can't say much about the quality of the russian tubes, but shouldn't one notice positively that they at least BUILD new tubes? I mean, the "new old stock" resources won't last forever, at least if we continue to build so many amps :D :D :D
I'm in agreement with you here. I'm very glad that there are at least some good sounding tubes being still being produced. And each iteration/version seems to improve the sound (though not 'always' of course). While they're still being produced, while we buy them, and while we demand good sound, I can only be hopeful that this will continue to improve even further.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.