• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube op amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tlf9999 said:
since our amps are for the most part op-amps, do those analog computers / op-amps used in missiles for example suffer from the same mishaps of our amps?

for example, what is the impact of accuracy from first-cycle distortion? or back-EMF? or ???

No, and no. Single ended and push pull amps are rarely of the same sort as an op-amp. For instance, gain is controlled and often, loop NFB is low (or not used at all). Op-amps work entirely by NFB, ideally having gain approach infinity (such that very nearly zero signal voltage appearing across the terminals produces an infinite output voltage). Also, since gain is so high, distortion is corrected by using ohmic resistors to define gain and thus distortion.

Tim

I have a doubt...

I've read the article on headwize regarding tube opamps, and I recall reading somewhere (maybe in this forum) that the usage of negative feedback in tube designs reduced the gap to solid-state designs in terms of sound. So, if I were to use one of those tube opamp designs configured for a gain of 10dB, or something like that, as a line stage would I lose the benefits of using tubes in the first place?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't know much about valves...

Devius said:
I have a doubt...

I've read the article on headwize regarding tube opamps, and I recall reading somewhere (maybe in this forum) that the usage of negative feedback in tube designs reduced the gap to solid-state designs in terms of sound. So, if I were to use one of those tube opamp designs configured for a gain of 10dB, or something like that, as a line stage would I lose the benefits of using tubes in the first place?

In the sense that you'll have lower distortion and source impedance, yes, it will sound closer to good solid state.

Devious opens:

"I've read the article on headwize regarding tube opamps, and I recall reading somewhere (maybe in this forum) that the usage of negative feedback in tube designs reduced the gap to solid-state designs in terms of sound. So, if I were to use one of those tube opamp designs configured for a gain of 10dB, or something like that, as a line stage would I lose the benefits of using tubes in the first place?"

SY counters:

"In the sense that you'll have lower distortion and source impedance, yes, it will sound closer to good solid state."

audio aikido?

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.