• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pioneer TX-5A Tuner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jack,
Sorry I can't help you with a schematic, but I do know what you're talking about wrt the sound. I have a Sherwood 2000 tuner, and the day I bought it, it took me a couple of minutes to realise it was mono, so big and rich was the sound (it was tuned to a classical station). The TV and FM come from different sites at my new home, so I'm waiting for them to finish a new Tx tower which means I can point my big Yagi at the one spot to get both. 'Till then, no FM.

There is a website for tuner buffs, but I lost the URL in a recent crash. If I find it I'll post it. They may be able to help more. A Google search might turn it up.

Do you have a pic of the unit?
Cheers

Brett,
Thanks for the info. This guy looks like a top of the line guy. It's got eleven tubes and a nuvistor front end. It's got stereo with AFC, and AM narrow, wide, 110V or 220V, with a machined aluminum front plate, and a beautiful vacuum tube tuning eye that narrows as the signal strength increases. The sound is luscious! I haven't tried aligning it yet, but I believe it hasn't been touched in at least thirty years. Dust inside, before I cleaned it, was almost a quarter of an inch thick, and apparently, no tubes had been changed since the dust began accumulating. A matching amp tube was available, but I wasn't looking for an amp, although it looked mint. I don't have a scanner, otherwise, I'd zap you a pic. It's a great looking unit. Looks as good as anything on the market today! Again, thanks for the interest, and if you find the link, please let me know!
Tks,
Jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.