Behringer reaches a new high in tube "transparency" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2005, 05:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer reaches a new high in tube "transparency"

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

see for yourself how they do it in the
Behringer MIC 2200 Ultragain Pro microphone preamp.

Now i wonder what other things they are up to?
Old 6th October 2005, 05:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It should be established whether the tube actually is connected.
If it isn't that would be downright fraud in my book. But it probably is in, since it is there it doesn't cost anything to use it. Where are those golden ears, can't they HEAR if it is in??

If the tube is in, what is the problem? We have LEDs shining on the innards of CD players, nice LEDs inside amps? It's those golden ears that say that tubes make the sound 'warm' - transferring the temp of a component to the sound of music which is nonsense anyway. Are we now saying that the more tubes glow the warmer the sound gets???

This is just plain marketing as is usual in audio. Same as nice cherry-wood knobs, pink cable jackets (remember the Pink Mamba?) etc.

Jan Didden
Old 6th October 2005, 05:55 PM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Of course the valve will be connected. But small 6922-like double triodes don't glow very bright.
I bet some commissioning department manager said "brighten it up"
Old 6th October 2005, 09:08 PM   #4
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I think the key words were when the reviewer said, "My feeling is however that probably the tube is connected..." Now I know that in recording circles, the term "engineer" is mis-used, but trying to complain about technicalities when you're not even capable of tracing a circuit on a PCB... So what if it has some LEDs to make it prettier? Studer did exactly the same thing on one of their pro ADCs about ten years ago.
Old 7th October 2005, 02:44 AM   #5
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

The tube heater runs off the +17VDC rail with a series 39 ohm resistor, resulting in a bit over 11VDC across the series wired heaters in the tube. It is heated. The plates are running on only 48 volts, but the tube is definitely in the signal path as a cathode follower. Pull the tube, no signal will pass.

Any claims that the tube is not wired in or powered up are false and born of someone making assumptions based upon their preconceived notions without bothering to find out what was what.

They added the LEDs to make it look more appealing, so what? No different than backlighting your logo on the panel.

It is unfortunate that reviewers publish such things in their magazines rather than simply trying it out and reporting on its performance.
Old 7th October 2005, 02:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If the dual triode is used as a cathode follower then I have a problem with the front panel label addressing it as an "UltraGain Stage", when the gain can only be less than unity.

Rob
Old 7th October 2005, 09:29 AM   #7
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

That is a valid point, for sure.
Old 7th October 2005, 04:47 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

"UltraGain" is not a technical term, it's a slogan. So I don't see the issue.

I'm afraid that my EL84 amp has nearly 100 LEDs in it...
Old 7th October 2005, 05:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
"UltraGain" is not a technical term, it's a slogan. So I don't see the issue.

I see this as another example of the trend of dumming down the consumer/population with incorrect information that leads to where we are today. We live amongst a mass of poorly educated people (by design) who have been programmed to solve any problem or need by peeling open their wallets and who don't know how to wipe their own mule. A lot of folks learn what they know about technology from what they read on the labels and panels of their consumer electronics and other devices, at least those who can read do, so yeah, I do see this as an issue.

I'm not about to lose any sleep over it though.

Are you using all those LEDs for bias dividers with the 'show glow' as a secondary function?
Old 7th October 2005, 05:29 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A few are being used as references, the rest to bias the output tubes (42 per channel). It does give an unusual glow to the room.

Hide this!Advertise here!