• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Balanced pre-amp attempt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I'm just starting into valves and would like to make a pre-amp. The thing is I'd like it to have ballanced output and maybe input too. I've seen some such preamps on this forum but I'd like something different. I'm thinking of a Isodyne phase splitter since it seems to have very nice features such as low output impedance. I don't know if it's meant as a pre-amp but I'm guessing it will work just as well right?

The attached schematic is what I've done so far. Just a little bit of modification on the original design to lower the gain. According to the simulator it should work as intended.

Any thoughts? Is it very bad? Am I doing something stupid? I really don't know much about valves although I've been reading info on the subject.

Attachments

• line pre-amp.jpg
    line pre-amp.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 321
The balance will be awful. You can improve things by tying the two cathodes of the input tube together (for heaven's sakes, use a more linear tube than a 12AU7!), then tie them to a current sink running to a negative rail. The negative rail doesn't have to be very large, -5 to -12V will be fine.

Or, even better, use an input transformer to get near-perfect balance and galvanic isolation.

Thanks for the advice :)

I don't want to use a transformer since I can't get one...

Any suggestions on valves for replacing the 12AU7? I don't have access to many... maybe 12AX7? or some of the ECC8x type?

I'll fiddle around with your suggestions and place the updated schematic as soon as I can.

No, I can't get those you mentioned easily. Here's a list of what I can get: 12AX7, 12BA6, 12AV6, 12BE6, ECC81, ECC85. not a great list to choose from...

I would like around 18dB of gain or less.

And here's the schematic with the current source. There is just one thing I'm not quite sure (I'm very bad at electronics), is the current at each anode equal to half the current supplied by the current source?

Attachments

• line pre-amp-model.jpg
    line pre-amp-model.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 246
Unless you're in Lower Volta, there are a great variety of tubes available via mail order. If you can mention your location, perhaps some of the members can pipe up with some sources that you can use.

The current source will force the two halves to have equal and opposite AC current. You've got two DC balancing controls which is probably redundant. And the 12AX7 is going to be huffing and puffing trying to drive a load. You want something more like the easily-available ECC88 in that position. In fact, you could use it at the input, but a 6CG7 (or a 6SN7) will have lower gain, closer to what you're looking for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.