Best amplifier (recomendations) for Fostex FE108ez? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2005, 09:28 PM   #1
Guijs is offline Guijs  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default Best amplifier (recomendations) for Fostex FE108ez?

Hello,

I have built a pair of BLH for Fostex FE108ez. I'll order a custom tube amplifier for them, and i'd like to know wich are the most used amplifiers for these speakers. Can you guys gime some project recomendations? Waht power do you recommend for these loudspeakers?

Thanks

Guilherme
Old 1st October 2005, 05:33 PM   #2
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I'll stick my neck out.......

Although never heard this amp on your speakers, the Transcendent Sound T16 has outperformed a few highly regarded 45 type tube amps on some highly regarded speakers.

This amp is neutral sounding and will disappear in the audio chain. If one wants that SET amp with some 'color' added in the midrange (often called SET magic) and 'softer' bass, buy a SET design. The T16 is noted for being very fast & detailed. This can cause poor recordings to sound exactly as recorded- poor.

I believe the amp outputs 15-watts per channel. Cost is $1199 as a kit or $1699 assembled. The amp requires a preamp.
Old 1st October 2005, 08:19 PM   #3
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm running my modded Buschorn's (w/FE108EZ's) with a Decware Zen SE84CS, 2wpc SET. Very open and dynamic combination, plenty loud enough (pour moi!). Their 6wpc SEP, would also be a great combination IMHO. www.decware.com
Old 2nd October 2005, 01:44 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: I'll stick my neck out.......

Quote:
Originally posted by amperex
the Transcendent Sound T16
That is a facinating amp. We (ie Chris) had good luck with his (frugal-phile(tm)) EL84 SE parafeed monobloks (in both triode and in RH mode)

The Bottlehead Paramours also worked well.

dave
Old 2nd October 2005, 05:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Check out the Horn Shoppe site. Ed has some recommendations for amplifiers. Many users seem to like the F1. I've been trying to get him interested in a pair of Cymbals, but he's quite happy at the moment.

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/

jh

Hide this!Advertise here!