• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Zenith Console Opt Question, Odd Secondary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,

My Sister just brought me a couple Zenith chassis from a couple consoles she had at her cabin in wisconsin. They decided to get rid of a bunch of the in-laws old furnature they had stored there many years.

Ok, So the chassis:

Everything is fairly cut and dry, 5U4 Rect, Quad of 6BQ5/EL84's and a pair of 6CG7's on chassis #1, Chassis #2 has 12AX7's in the same location on chassis.

My real question is about the opt's, The Primary has the usual Brn,Red,Blue std color codeing, The secondary has something I personally havent seen or at least noticed before. I have seen multi ohm opts, Just not what I have here as it appears they were all used at once.

Yellow, Black, And pair of enameled copper twisted together and grounded.

Closeup of output
These seperate speaker connections? or some kind of weird shielding? The Speakers that were in the cabs are fairly nice looking alnico 12" and a rather large horn.
I would date these units about early 60's maybe 63 and 64.

There is also a location on the chassis where some solder lugs pertrude thru for adjustment, But I have no specs or setting instructions. Here A Look

Any input might be helpful.
Gene

Hi Tom,

Ok Heres the only Info I could get, of the back panels

Model Number SFD2580, I have 2 of these, And Model number MH2670W.
The only print on the chassis is not legible.

The SDF2580 has 4XEL84,pair of 6CG7's & 5U4
The MH2670W has 4XEL84, a pair of 12AX7's and 5U4.
The chassis was common to both models,Also the OPTs are all the same, And I beleive The PT's also.

One Thing, The isolated feedback winding shows continuity to all the seconday leads? This lead is tied to chassis.(grounded)
Gene

Covered in Sams 495-19 (1960) and 627-9 (1963). I -might- have the first one... I'll look. The feedback winding does have one side grounded, but easily separated - the pair that are twisted toether..

I have a single ended Zenith console in my garage right now - not as good a deal as yours - it set me back TWO whole bucks!

When I was at That Auction of Russ's TV and Radio Repair, I bought a couple thousand tubes and Box after box of other componets and stuff, I got 5- 4 drawer file cabs plus 8 big boxes of Sams photofacts. The Thing is I have to drive another 700 mile round trip to pick them up. I left them in storage with the auctioneer simply put, Our PT Cuiser (rear sets removed) was loaded over the windows on 3 sides :D .

I am going to need a Van to get the rest, But hey, the information is easily worth the investment in the ton of information I will aquire.

I bet I will even have those models in the mess, I hope it doesnt take to long the get them organized.
gene

re: Sams - If they're in numeric order, it's easy... just get the index program (on Sams website) and there's probably a paper index (I paid a buck for mine).

Only thing is, I expect you to fill in all my missing Stromberg Carlson folders to complete the collection - I can return 'em after I scan 'em - what's I have is here: http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/MadeInRoch.html

I found the schematic for mine (SFF2603) online while looking up yours - it took a trip to the basement to find the SFD2580... email me for a scan. tbavis(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com

Trout:
You are in trouble! That is how I started, one trip to Orlando, the return trip had the Escape (seats removed) filled up to the (top of ) the windows with tubes. Next trip, I had to rent a U-Haul. The next trip, I had to rent a warehouse. Now (3 more trips) the 2000 cubic foot warehouse is full (tubes, transformers, and other good stuff), and I don't think that I will ever get it all organized.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.