• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

dht p-p filament question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
hello. i have been working on building a dht p-p 10 (vt-25) amp, and ran into something that gave me pause. i am using a shared cathode resistor (bypassed), and wired the filaments backwards on each tube of a p-p pair. i did this, as i am running dc filaments, and had been told by jack elliano years ago to do that (on a single ended amp). have the + reversed on the pins between the two dht output tubes, and then just switch the tubes every once in a while (to help ensure a full life). anyhow, that is where i got the idea to do the same between each p-p pair. i recently read something, however that said wiring the filaments to different pins is bad (ie: pin 1 of one tube is wired to pin 4 of the other). is this the case? will i have to change them, or will they be fine as is? really annoying as i have spent a lot of time making the wiring look nice. won't be too bad to undo, but still i would rather just leave it. if there is a problem, what is the technical basis? thanks a lot!

I have seen it suggested to wire the filaments out of phase with each other to gain a bit of hum cancelling in the output transformer. To do this, you should wire pin1 to pin1, etc.

This should cause any filament related hum to cancel in the output transformer.

I'm not totally sure about that increased life thing, but if that is your goal, you could add a DPDT polarity switch in the filament supply circuit and flip it every hundred hours or so :)

jsn

http://boozhoundlabs.com

Joined 2004
Paid Member
hey jsn. thanks. i think that might have been what i read. my thinking was that it wouldn't matter so much since i was using dc on the filaments (ie: no hum problems).

hey johnny. based on my research, i think that shared cathode bias is the best way to go, as opposed to a separate bias component for each tube. and i'm using the dc because the voltage is so high on the vt-25 (7.5 volts).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.