Gibson Skylark Grouding Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2005, 08:15 PM   #1
msmith1 is offline msmith1  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Gibson Sklark Grouding Questions

I just inherited a "vintage" Gibson Skylark GA5T Amp. It sounds pretty good but there is a definite hum and ... (this is the bad thing) when it is swithed off the metal and my guitar go hot! its a low voltage but definitly a tingle! Attached is a link to the schematics. I want to ground the chassis and I am checking for shorts. I probably need to install new isolated input jacks. What else do I need to watch for or is there a good reference. This is my first "project' amp. I am new at this so keep it simple, please. Thanks.http://www.harpamps.com/gibson/pg_0089.jpg
Old 23rd September 2005, 10:07 PM   #2
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
It's easy that the 0.02uF capacitor in the primary of the power transformer is leaky or shorted. Remove it, it's not needed, and replace the power cord with an earthed one, 3-prong.

While you're here change all other capacitors.
Old 23rd September 2005, 10:15 PM   #3
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Gibson amp

Although no leakage issues of line voltage, a new 3-prong cord replacing the stock two prong power cord removed all audio hum on our Gibson Hawk.

Hide this!Advertise here!