Looking For a PP 6Y6GA Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2005, 03:11 AM   #1
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking For a PP 6Y6GA Design

OK,
After many hours the past few days sorting out tubes that I feel might be fun to play with, I came across 5 Quads of 6Y6GA's.NIB's Very pretty looking tubes and output specs arent bad either.
I have a Nice Extra hammong chassis, About every resistor I may ever need, Caps galore 7 Yada Yada.

Now, Any schematic Ideas?
I would like to build a PP stereo amp seeing as I easily have enough of these to outlast myself, And our kids.
I have a Brand new pair of OPT's I had gotten for a future project, But I am not certain they will be correct.
Response flat within 1 dB 50 Hz-20KHz at 20 watts, Primary 6600 ohm CT with screen taps at 43% Secondary 0-4-8 ohms. Max suggested DC current per side 80 ma.

I also have several PT's, Mostly pulls from other amps, And 1 New one that is labeled 6K6VG, Its fairly large, Possibly from a ham unit. Has HV, 6.3 & 5v windings. With CTs on HV and 6.3V

Aside from the ones I have, Any ideas on a hammond that would match these tubes accurately?
Gene
Old 22nd September 2005, 01:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You'll want a 4K or so transformer for 6Y6s. B+ in the 250V range. About 15W ultralinear, or pentode with 150V regulated screen.

I have a pair of guitar amp output transformers intended for EL34 at 60W or so - I think they will work well with 6Y6 or 6CW5 (have a bunch of both), haven't decided which one yet.
Old 22nd September 2005, 05:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Forgot to mention - Acrosound showed a P-P 6Y6 amp - page 12 of the catalog: http://www.clarisonus.com/Archives/Trans/Acro55.pdf
Old 22nd September 2005, 09:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Your transformer number 6K6VG came from Allied Electronics. That number is no longer in their catalog but they still do sell Vacuum Tube Power Transformers. I have been using them in my amplifiers for a few years now with no issues. They appear to be made by Hammond, except that they are considerably cheaper than the equivalent Hammond part.

6K56VG is 540VCT at 120 mA with 5 and 6.3 volt windings, I use it in my 45 amps. $36USD.

6K7VG is 750VCT at 150 mA with 5 and 6.3 volt windings, I use it in my 300B amps and push - pull amps. $41USD.

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=682.pdf
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You won't find a power transformer with the low voltage and high current you need in the usual places...

My plan is to use a 1.5A 120:120V isolation transformer with a doubler for B+, and a separate filament transformer. Should give 250-270V, up to 400 mA.

Hammond (and Plitron, others) have 120V:120V and 240:240 as well in toroids - about any capacity you could want. Use a separate filament transformer or wind your own filament winding on top. There are plenty of conventional EI transformers with 120V output too.
Old 23rd September 2005, 01:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
Your transformer number 6K6VG came from Allied Electronics. That number is no longer in their catalog but they still do sell Vacuum Tube Power Transformers. I have been using them in my amplifiers for a few years now with no issues. They appear to be made by Hammond, except that they are considerably cheaper than the equivalent Hammond part.

6K56VG is 540VCT at 120 mA with 5 and 6.3 volt windings, I use it in my 45 amps. $36USD.

6K7VG is 750VCT at 150 mA with 5 and 6.3 volt windings, I use it in my 300B amps and push - pull amps. $41USD.

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=682.pdf

AWESOME FIND!

I have been looking for specs on this baby for 3 months!!
Its a pretty hefty unit. Got it for $1 at a ham estate sale, Should provide a good source for some fine project.

Thanks!!
Old 24th September 2005, 12:37 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
6Y6 is about like a 6W6 (which is a.k.a. 12/25/50L6 for series heater use), I forget if it's more or less and in what ways (like how 6K6 is a weaker, primative 6V6).

Tim
Old 24th September 2005, 03:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Looking At Data Sheets, 6Y6ga has more verb than any 6V6, 6K6,6W6 at its suggested voltages 200Vplate.
Class A Amplifier
Plate Voltage ................................. 200
VGrid No. 2 Voltage ............................ 135
VGrid No. 1 Voltage ............................ -14
VPeak Grid No. 1 Voltage........................ 14
VPlate Resistance (approx) ..................... 18300 ŁTransconductance .............................. 7100 µ
Plate Current (Zero Signal) ................... 61 mA
Plate Current (Maximum Signal) ................ 66 mA
Grid No. 2 Current (Zero Signal) .............. 2.2 mA
Grid No. 2 Current (Maximum Signal) ........... 9 mALoad Resistance ............................... 2600 Ł
Power Output (approx) ......................... 6 WTotal Harmonic Distortion ..................... 10 %

I Figured In A PP amp, it would be a decent low cost setup.
Old 4th August 2009, 07:30 PM   #9
gyncos is offline gyncos  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Hello Trout and Everyone,
Is your project for 6Y6GA tube has completed?, is it possible for me to share your schematic?i would like to build one. I'm just newbie on this tubes amp,. Can this 6Y6 can be used with 12au7 and the likes? instead of 6SN7?
Appreciate any feeback

Hide this!Advertise here!