Best 300B SE OPT? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2012, 08:09 PM   #71
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Paul, please do let us know what you think of these transformers once you had them for a bit.

Thanks!
Old 30th October 2012, 04:06 PM   #72
jamesdb is offline jamesdb  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's hoping someone can review a pair of the new Daburu Ultra Hi-B, double C-core OPTs. I just saw they have new models with silver secondaries.
Old 18th March 2013, 07:16 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Hello again,

Does anybody have any updated information on SE OPTs? What this thread has been trying to do is gather information about actual A-B comparisons of OPTs. If you've done any comparative tests at all, even of two different OPTs, or if you have have new information on interesting models, do please post and keep this thread going!

Andy
Old 18th March 2013, 07:17 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Hello again,

Does anybody have any updated information on SE OPTs? What this thread has been trying to do is gather information about actual A-B comparisons of OPTs. If you've done any comparative tests at all, even of two different OPTs, or if you have have new information on interesting models, do please post and keep this thread going!

Andy
Old 18th March 2013, 01:29 PM   #75
Dave C2 is offline Dave C2  United States
diyAudio Member

I made a major upgrade from Hammond 1627SE to a set of Plitron OPTs last fall. The big difference for my ears was how linear the Plitrons are, you get EVERYTHING evenly in the spectrum from top to bottom and in a big way. My input here would be like this. I don't drive fancy cars or live a lavish life style but the Plitron Purchase was well worth the money. Plitron sound is very honest and very clear, there are no pinch points.
Old 18th March 2013, 08:03 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

I also have two Hammond 1627SE (not 1627SEA) and cannot really recommend them. Low frequency response is great, but stray resonance is low and the higher frequencies don't sound that well. Had big problems using it in the global feedback loop (oscillation due to low phase margin).

The transcendars (the 5K version) are excellent for the money. I use them in my everyday amp.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:56 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Any updates on top end SE output transformers for 300b/2a3 types? I currently use Lundahl LL1620/80mA and am considering an upgrade. Any comparisons welcome.
Old 10th January 2014, 12:56 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Since my last post on this thread I've built a second set of 300B monoblocks and equipped them with Plitrons as well. At this time I have 2 sets of Plitron equipped 300B monoblocks but with different driver sections. I know they are expensive but for me the sound from the Plitrons is simply the best.
Old 10th January 2014, 01:58 PM   #79
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

There appear to be two very similar threads going w/ this info, but I have Hashimoto transformers and they are amazing! 300b amp, 25w 5k transformers. Replaced some inexpensive transformers w/ them, and the difference was night and day. Same type thing Dave said about plitron. All the tone is perfectly even, top to bottom, nothing missing, nothing peaking. Full of detail. They're probably in the same price range as plitron.
I've got a set of plitron PP w/ CFB TX's to try for my next project! Can't comment on them yet, other than they are huge and heavy.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:45 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

I believe Hashimoto transformers to be one of the best available. I will have to give them a try soon.

Hide this!Advertise here!