Best 300B SE OPT? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2012, 05:24 PM   #51
palmas is online now palmas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Thanks for the ETF shootout info. Clearly the AN Trans-300 is better than the Trans-152 which is pretty average really and didn't do too well in the Silk shootout. Lundahls don't seem to be at the top of the tree - there's a lot of windings in most of them. I was disappointed with the LL1620.

Andy
I found a pair of LL1620/90 in an old amp I made some 10y ago.
Before I reuse it for a GU50 PSE, can you tell me why were you disapointed with it? Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 06:50 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Hi

Actually, hearing all my transformers now with a much better amp topology, I would revise my opinions.

Trans-152 (90mA) is about equivalent to the LL1620/80mA. The AN is a fraction more dynamic with slightly better soundstage and bass, while I think the Lundahl is a little better on vocals.

I imagine you'd put both in the "better" category, without being in the "best" category of Tango etc. I'm not disappointed - I'm getting very good sounds. Also I think the "amount of wire" was a bit simplistic - as far as I can tell the LL1620 sounds better than the LL1682 which is smaller with fixed secondaries, though I haven't tried out both with exactly the same topology yet.

So get that LL1620 up and running - should sound good!

Last edited by andyjevans; 18th September 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 19th September 2012, 02:48 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Hi

Actually, hearing all my transformers now with a much better amp topology, I would revise my opinions.

Trans-152 (90mA) is about equivalent to the LL1620/80mA. The AN is a fraction more dynamic with slightly better soundstage and bass, while I think the Lundahl is a little better on vocals.

I imagine you'd put both in the "better" category, without being in the "best" category of Tango etc. I'm not disappointed - I'm getting very good sounds. Also I think the "amount of wire" was a bit simplistic - as far as I can tell the LL1620 sounds better than the LL1682 which is smaller with fixed secondaries, though I haven't tried out both with exactly the same topology yet.

So get that LL1620 up and running - should sound good!

I hope, yes, since I used this Lundahl, I just used big AN transformers, like the double C TR310 and other that really work well with big DHT's.
Now I'll be using this LL1620/90 for a small leaving room system (my wife keeps complainning I only have good sound where she does't go).
I can have about 480V for the PSE GU50, and as that is not enough to make it work in pentode mode, I thing I'll risc triode and see how it goes.
Old 19th September 2012, 03:21 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

When I earlier said that Daburu was better than my AN OPTs - that was with something called AN trans-150...

Best Regards.

I have a strong feeling that AN double c-core OPTs are good. Too expensive though.
Old 19th September 2012, 04:15 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

When I earlier said that Daburu was better than my AN OPTs - that was with something called AN trans-150...>>

That's probably the Trans-152 that I have. It's pretty good but not great. So that looks good for the Daburu. But the Softone is interesting too!

Daburu is a lot cheaper at HiFi DIY Site - VT4C/211 Power Triode

Where did you get yours?
Old 19th September 2012, 05:27 PM   #56
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

My russian friend says that Sowter is very well regarded back home. I don't see them mentioned much this side of the pond - shipping costs appear to be prohibitive.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 19th September 2012, 05:46 PM   #57
работник
diyAudio Member

Good Russian Taste.

My 3,5K Sowter SA08s serve excellently well for my 300B-SE. Whatever changes I make to my system, can always be heard through these trafos, and I have no plans to change them. The overall sound of the amp is very natural, and the stereo image is huge.

My recommendation: choose the best trafo you can get to listen to. Sell other stuff and buy the best, rather than be put off by high price: trafos just get better with age, and last a lifetime - provided the quality was high in the first place. Low cost OT is a very false economy, that prevents you finding out what is possible with DIY.
Old 20th September 2012, 11:20 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Coleman View Post
Good Russian Taste.

My 3,5K Sowter SA08s serve excellently well for my 300B-SE. Whatever changes I make to my system, can always be heard through these trafos, and I have no plans to change them. The overall sound of the amp is very natural, and the stereo image is huge.

My recommendation: choose the best trafo you can get to listen to. Sell other stuff and buy the best, rather than be put off by high price: trafos just get better with age, and last a lifetime - provided the quality was high in the first place. Low cost OT is a very false economy, that prevents you finding out what is possible with DIY.
Old 21st September 2012, 02:58 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Coleman View Post
Good Russian Taste.

+1, from my humble experience. I really like Transcendars (both 10W and 20W) and yet as soon as I could afford them I bought the transformers pictured here (2A3 next to them for size comparison). Outputs are almost 11lbs a piece...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg james-xformers 018.jpg (93.8 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg james-xformers 019.jpg (80.2 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg james-xformers 020.jpg (86.3 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg james-xformers 021.jpg (69.6 KB, 597 views)
Old 21st September 2012, 06:31 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Could you give us an idea of the sound quality of the James OPT compared with the Transcendar please?

And anything else you tried?

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!