Best 300B SE OPT? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2011, 12:47 PM   #21
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

From what I can gather, Hashimoto, James and O'Netics are the top OPTs. There has been a lot of praise for the O'Netic's Level III iron from a number of top designers and, if you're willing to pull out all the stops, there's also the O'Netic's Level V (they are more expensive).

The OP also asked about which "affordable" transformer is good and it seems that the Edcors aren't too dear, considering the quality.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited by TerryO; 12th June 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12th June 2011, 09:59 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
...There has been a lot of praise for the O'Netic's Level III iron from a number of top designers and, if you're willing to pull out all the stops, there's also the O'Netic's Level V (they are more expensive)....
Best Regards,
TerryO
Is Bud still offering Lv4 & 5? The GM70 OPT mentioned are Lv3. I love them. Also a pair of Lv1, but I've not compared them yet.

I have to say that your source better be really good to fully appreciate the differences of these transformers. 24bit DAC or vinyl, weakest link of the chain bla bla bla...
Old 12th June 2011, 10:29 PM   #23
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvalve View Post
Is Bud still offering Lv4 & 5? The GM70 OPT mentioned are Lv3. I love them. Also a pair of Lv1, but I've not compared them yet.

I have to say that your source better be really good to fully appreciate the differences of these transformers. 24bit DAC or vinyl, weakest link of the chain bla bla bla...
Greenvalve,

When you start talking about this level of effort and expense, I can't imagine anyone (other that a certain Scandinavian "Squarehead") that wouldn't pair this quality of gear with an appropriate source as well.

Last Thursday evening, Bud and I gave a presentation at the Pacific Northwest Audio Society. I wasn't Boo'd (or lynched) and Bud was given an Ovation, so it was an entirely gradifying evening.

Bud also handed me a couple of Level 3 OPT to take to another friend of ours, that will be replacing some Edcors in his new amp. He wants to try both to see what the differences may be. I also have a project (or two) that, once it gets to the final stage, will be getting some Level 3 transformers as well.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 12th June 2011, 11:03 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Amplimo or Plitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
Nobody likes toroids ?
Are we alone

I'm with you Jaap.

Groet,

Audiofanatic
Old 12th June 2011, 11:04 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Rock on! Great that you and Bud are in the thick of it. But what about Level 5? Is he offering them once again?

I would really like to hear more about the Pacific Northwest Audio Society presentations. Do you have a link? Too bad I live in the opposite corner now

Last edited by greenvalve; 12th June 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 13th June 2011, 03:11 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbondated View Post
Any word on Hashimotos?
I'm using a pair of H-20-3.5U transformers in a Loftin-White circuit. I've also tried it in a JE Lab circuit with similar results. The highs and midrange were very good, but the bass is a little wooly. To my ears it sounds very similar to the James JS-6123H. I don't have experience with their more expensive transformers, but I find most winders have a similar "house" sound.

I built a drd about 8 years ago with some excellent iron from Electra-Print. It's my favorite to date. The sound is very neutral and the bass is the best i've heard in this circuit. Not sure if Jack is willing to resurrect his older transformer design, but it may be worth the price if you're considering a drd.

Old 15th June 2011, 11:50 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Plitron toroid, if I'm building one of tho$e amp.

otherwise, an over-rated Hammond or a one-electron will do.

Edcor, or cheap Hammond, I use to develop the design, then do one of the above usually.

If I do something like a one-off design: American Transformer, UTC , or even Triad, adjusting for taste. I'll even use a RCA Radiola transformer if they like it better.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:07 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
Nobody likes toroids ?
I use 60W toroids of my own design, but in PP, not SE amplifier. I don't think fixed air gap toroid is really optimal solution for SE. Double C core is much easier to construct with air gap of desired thickness.
Old 4th September 2011, 10:40 PM   #29
Dave C2 is offline Dave C2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
Plitron toroid, if I'm building one of tho$e amp.
I'm thinking Plitrons for my 300B amps. Any reason not to do it besides the cost? where is the most bang for the buck in the high end stuff?
Old 6th September 2011, 06:05 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Dave C2, DavesNotHere and Audiofanatic I am glad to see you like Plitrons. I just purchased Menno Vanderveen's books in the hopes that I could learn enough to design a Single Ended built around the KR 300bxls and all toroid transformers (meaning all Plitron power, output and choke). If you would like to share info please feel free to contact me here. I have spoken with some folks at Plitron and have found them helpful even introducing me to Mr Vanderveen, who I have not spoken with yet as I am waiting to finish my reading.

Hide this!Advertise here!