• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best 300B SE OPT?

See this is the thing; many builders make choices to suit their flawed speaker system and make pronouncements based upon an idiosyncratic sounding speaker. Most of these belong to the single driver crowd.
Perhaps the better transformer will sound the worse because it does not mitigate any flaws downstream. Surely worth pondering.

Best, Kris

I'm sure there's some truth in this. The virtue of single units, apart from easy construction, is the very immediate sound. Nothing added in the crossover. I'm all for minimum parts count in the active circuit, which is why I use a 2 stage all-DHT setup in filament bias with no cathode bypass caps. It's a very minimalistic system, though the power and filament supplies are pretty complex. But in audio, simple has downsides - you're asking components to do a lot. And in this case, you're asking a single speaker unit to have smooth and flat treble while still giving you the desired midrange and most of the bass you need. I must say the Alpair 10 pulls it off with the LL1664 OPT. And the gain in immediacy is certainly worth it. One way to go. The immediacy is rather addictive - it's very dynamic and detailed and not at all flat sounding.

But there's a basic paradox here I'm just not understanding. Surely the standard core and the amorphous core OPTs have pretty similar - i.e. flat - frequency responses? So where is the added treble energy coming from? The "harshness" or "extra detail" or whatever you call it? There's no listener fatigue with the LL1664 but there is with the amorphous core. So where is the listener fatigue coming from? Is it or isn't it a question of frequency response? If it is, where's the difference? If it isn't, then what is it?

In the case of a reputable manufacturer like James I think tht would be a fair assumption.
Magnequest are very conservative in their specification. From memory their FS-030 is rated at 65mA, yet is capable of passing significantly more current without saturation and deterioration of bass performance.

Magneqest fs030 should be set to 60ma mode, sound quality is very slow low very good

I use these OPT's for 300B (and GU-50 with adapter), Noguchi using Hitachi finemet core: http://noguchi-trans.co.jp/digitalcatalog/main/fm24ws3k.pdf

Expensive, but worth it.

In my DAC and tube pre (and the driver stage of 300B in the amplifier) I have both transformer coupled (Noguchi finemet) and capacitor coupled (KBG-MN and Duelund Cast Cu) outputs. Capacitor coupled outputs use the primary of the output transformer as an anode choke for better sound than resistor loaded anode. This is a clever way to have both types of coupling, transformer coupling for the best, most musical sound and better impedance matching and anode choke loaded capacitor coupled output for higher gain (also good sound!) when needed with different tube combinations. If one is thinking to go anode choke + cap out route, then buy a transformer to get both options to see which suit's ones taste better. Use a switch to decouple the output cap completely when the transformer coupling is used so it does not influence anything.

Last edited:
I've made some mods and listening to the amorphous OPT again. I may well stick with it now. One thing I found is that I can listen at lower volumes because it is certainly very clear. So that contributes to less listener fatigue.

Since I wrote this the amorphous OPT has become a fixture in my system, and I do think it mellows with burning in. I don't normally bother thinking about burn-in but there may be a case for it here.

Otherwise I've been working on a few amplifiers over the summer break. Today I compared four OPTs, all around 3K SE

1. O'Netics Level One - rich full sound, with mellow and sweet treble. Very easy to listen to.
2. O'Netics smaller OPT he made for George Wright a while ago - smaller size OPT and a slightly lighter sound. All the usual O'Netics sweetness and mellow sound, but a trifle lighter in presentation which is agreeable to me.
3. LL1664 - different sound than O'Netics, clearer but not so sweet. At first I preferred this but lately I've come to like the smaller O'Netics in particular.
4. LL1620 - this is a big beast with multiple taps and three choices of primary impedance. I think it suffers from this and doesn't sound as clear as the smaller LL1664. It sounded better at 5K than 3K with my usual PSE 4P1L output stage.

All the above will give you good sound, though I think the LL1620 would not be a choice unless you needed the versatility it offers.

So - anything new or worth a comment in the world of SE OPTs?

Thanks Merlin....I use that in my GU-50 amp.
Great sound to be had with Goodmans Axiom80 and Axiom 301.

Attachments

• Toroidy Tx Structural Photo.jpg
    Toroidy Tx Structural Photo.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 763
I have a Monoliith on my GM70 and Intact Audio on the 300b amp.
I have tried many transformers on both amps, I prefer the Intact Audio on 300b amp and monolith on GM70
They are silky smooth compared to commodity grade transformers

Those are two truly high end OPTS. Did you try the transformers the other way round at all so you could compare them directly? These aren't amorphous core? Have you tried amorphous core in comparison?

Hi

in this thread:
why not E88C
post 60 there are some tests on three different OT s.e.

In Trafo2.jpg there is a photo of them.

In my opinion, with 2.5 k ohm /8 ohm sec. we need 20H, real. So we can get the good results on low end maybe with a little loss on high freq, but this is not a grat problem

Walter

Attachments

• Trafo2.JPG
    Trafo2.JPG
    842.6 KB · Views: 695
Hi. Has anyone used the new Hammond SEA OPTs? My understanding is that there were changes made from the SE to SEA transformers. I'm considering the 1627SEA or the 1630SEA for a new build but I don't see much comment on them. They are relatively affordable and I can pick them up locally without shipping, exchange and duties required when ordering out of country. No point though if they are no good. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited: