• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SET on a budget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For your possible interest - a mainstream Electronics Magazine (the ONLY one left in Australia) has published a Parallel SE 6L6 Parafeed design.
Interesting, if only to see how one designer has gone about the design on a budget.
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_105000/article.html

Hint: Search for Mudlark using your standard search engine and pull up the article that way - For some reason you don't get the full article via the link above.

Cheers,
Ian

John,
See the hint in my original post - going in that way seems to get the full article. That is just use your browser to search on "Mudlark" and click on the appropriate link. I don't know why it objects when you use the exact same link from here rather than from your browser (I'm using Mozilla Firefox).
Cheers,
Ian

P.S.
Basically he is using flourescent light balasts for anode chokes. 3 in series (about 3H each) for each anode choke and 2 more for power supply filtering. Then good quality parafeed O/P trannies. Parallel triode strapped 6L6s driven by a 14V heater version of ECL86 (6GW8) triode/pentode. A clever power supply design using back to back toroids and a couple of diode pumps to provide all the various rails.

Kit of parts including chassis etc and preassembled and tested board is less than AUS $1000 and the chassis, bareboard plus parts is about AUS$100 cheaper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.