• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wire size for projects?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm halfway building my first amp, and halfway, I'm suddenly wondering how thick the wires in a typical tube-amp should be. Before, I've mostly done low-voltage stuff (TTL boards and so on), so I'm used to using 0.25 mm wire.

Of course, I know that for heaters you probably should use 1.0 mm wire or so, but how thick should the wire be in other places? Is 0.25 mm enough, or should I use thicker wire in selected places?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Glenn,
The voltage rating is the breakdown rating. Therefore, wire rated for 200V service is not safe for 400V service. There is a saftey factor but you wouldn't run a 200V cap at 400V - would you?:bigeyes:

So ..... how do you feel about rewiring all those amps? You didn't sell them did you?

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
I use CAT-5 all the time, for networking and telephone systems. At best the insulation will be 300 VDC. I have my doubts on that rating even.

I have no idea on the rating of your 30GA. Depends on the insulation. I bet it's around 100~150VDC since the wire can not support thicker insulation. Or it's exotic wire and okay for B+.

Yeah "Too" all components including wire insulation have a maximum allowable voltage and indeed resitors.

Post #7 here

-Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
anatech said:
I use CAT-5 all the time, for networking... 300 VDC.

That's about the limit of any amps i've done so far. I'm still a rookie so am working my way up with the voltages.

I have no idea on the rating of your 30GA. Depends on the insulation. I bet it's around 100~150VDC since the wire can not support thicker insulation. Or it's exotic wire and okay for B+.

Two of my early tube gurus recomended it. I try to mostly use component leads for wiring.

dave

When point-to-point wiring, you tend not to let wires cross, rub and lean about, so insulation is pretty moot anyway, I could wire with 20AWG bare if I felt like it :rolleyes: :eek: :D

It's not much of a safety issue because if your hand somehow finds its way shoved below a live +400V tube chassis...shocking things are going to happen anyway.

Not recommended, but wire insulation is also overrated. Heck, I had like 5kV threatening the outside of a 24ga. 300V PVC insulated wire the other day, and it didn't say uncle!? :eek:

Oh, and also note that insulation isn't going to spontaneously break down and spark. The air around the wire, your primary defense, is much wider (between wires) and has a lower dielectric constant, so by and large, most of the electric field is across the air, not the insulation.

If you have to run hot lines along the chassis or twisted to low voltage wires, appropriate (600V+) insulation would be a good idea. :)

Tim

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tim,
At least if the wire is bare, you expect to have to keep it away from other things. It's just that beginners should be aware of the dangers and why things "just blow up".

I am comfortable with bare wire also, and cracked insulation. Still, the proper wire should be used. And yes, air makes a fine dielectric, but it's a crappy barrier. You and I know when it's okay to use bare or low voltage wire. I'll bet you were taught to use the correct stuff. The same should be pointed out to people just starting out. Otherwise, why do they make that expensive 600V (or better) wire anyway?

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Glenn,
The voltage rating is the breakdown rating. Therefore, wire rated for 200V service is not safe for 400V service. There is a saftey factor but you wouldn't run a 200V cap at 400V - would you?:bigeyes:

So ..... how do you feel about rewiring all those amps? You didn't sell them did you?

-Chris

Hey Chris-
I've never had a problem with any arcing on any of my guitar amps. I think I asked this question at the AX84 forum, and the consensus there was that 200v was acceptable because of the air gap. Most people I spoke with used 200v insulation wire.
I just wanted to hear what builders on this forum thought of this.
Glenn

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Glenn,
I'm not freaking, but if the wire got pushed to the chassis (by a service guy or curious customer) it may eventually break down. Possibly just discharge now and again depending on humidity. It would be difficult to troubleshoot.

I still think we should endeavor to do things properly - given a chance. In other words, I don't like to tempt fate.

-Chris

Hi there.....in my parallel pairs p-p stereo amp (8 x 6550 or equiv) don't go less than 1mm CSA for the power tubes heater wiring and do a ring circuit going back to beginning.
The wiring harness from old cars makes excellent power wire so long it's free from salt and crap.

richj

I've used CAT-5 ("plenum rated" - this version has the Teflon insulation) in an application that is at over 400V, for quite a long time, and no air between either - twisted B+/Ground pair. Although I guess the insulation could only be ~200V x 2 (once on each conductor) come to think of it . . . .

-j

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi alex278,
No argument there at all. There are charts indicating how much current vs gauge vs temperature rise. This would be paired with a voltage drop and so is unacceptable for two reasons.

Common sense would seem to work fine here.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.