Modifing A Fender Bassman Scheme - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2005, 05:41 PM   #1
amirmk is offline amirmk  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Modifing A Fender Bassman Scheme

Hello, I want to build a bassman but i don't need the bass preamp, what parts of it should i change after i erase the bass pre and coupling resistors?
scheme can be found here
Old 16th September 2005, 05:45 PM   #2
gl is offline gl  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi amirmk,

Remaove all of the bass pre-amp parts up to and including the 470K resistor. I have built many of Fenders circuits and they are easy to modify like this. You will probably have no problems and be pleased with the result.

Cheers,
Graeme
Old 16th September 2005, 06:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I want to do two other modifications, one is to remove everything but the basic preamp and poweramp of a Vox AC30, and the second one is to replace the valves in the bassman to 6550, is the first one done the same way?
Old 16th September 2005, 06:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi amirmk,

I have never worked with the AC30 circuits so I can't offer any advice there. However, there is a great deal of info on the web on the AC30 so I would recommend a thorough search as a starting point. Perhaps other members here have some experience and could comment.

As for substituting the 6550, I don't see the point. The 5881 is a 6L6. The 6L6 and 6550 will sound very similar. If you want to use the 6550 to gain more power then I would advise finding a 6550 based circuit to build.

I like this vintage of Fender pre-amp very much and I own an original 6G7 Bandmaster. I consider this pre-amp circuit (the normal channel) to be the best one Leo ever did. Please note the tapped volume control. These are available in the US the last I checked but you may have trouble locating one in your area.

Graeme
Old 16th September 2005, 06:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

To the moderators.

Perhaps this thread belongs in musical instruments.

Cheers,
Graeme
Old 16th September 2005, 07:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much.
I don't know if it belongs in the instruments forum, as there are several guitar threads in this forum. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me. Next time i'll write it there.
Thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!