• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

120 Hz Buzz Unplugged

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I happened to place my ear close to my Khorn this morning and heard a faint 120 Hz buzz. Odd because my entire system's power is switched on an off from a single source, a rack mounted PS filter.

A monoblocked SE EL84 amp powers the speaker, so I pulled the PS cord and input cable, still buzzes. If I disconnect the speaker wire from the amp the buzz stops (if this didn't stop it I'd have my ears checked).

Question is, how can an amp, disconnected from any 120 v power supply and source generate a 120 Hz buzz when connected to a highly efficient speaker like the Klipschorn?

Do I need an exorcist? Maybe my home was built on a burial ground?

Any ideas, suggestions?

dr._sleep

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Bell, book, and candle?

Sounds as though the output transformer (which is a coil) is picking up a stray magnetic field and passing it to the loudspeaker. Now, the more interesting question is, "Why is it 120Hz and not 60Hz?" I'd suspect that there's a transformer or motor (or perhaps even a fluorescent light) nearby that is saturating and leaking 120Hz. You'll have to go round switching things off. Possibly by candlelight...

I didn't have time this morning but I'll put my oscilloscope on it to check the frequency. It was not a hum that was audible, but it could be harmonics of 60Hz through the tweeter and/or midrange horn.

I do have a dimmer switch in the room but it is 20 feet from the amp. Nothing else was powered up nearby.

thanks,

dr._sleep

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.