• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AT7 Pre-amp schematic, where to find?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
12AT7 Pre-apm schematic, where to find?

Good day bros, I'm a newbie at DIY and I just got a bunch of 12AT7 tubes :) .And I want to make a pre-ampli using those tubes ...but I dont know how to start ...:( so.. would you like to helo me with a shematic bros :) ?it will be such a great favor for me. If I have to use another tube, I think I can afford this on my pre-amp :)
Thank you for help :)

SY said:
You've not been terribly clear about what you want to do, other than "preamp." Line? Phono? Input and output impedances? Gain?

Wao, thank Geek, I sure will have give this a try :) .Yeah, I'm not so clear (as I said b4,I just a newbie :D ).I want a line pre-amp :) Gain should be between +- 10dB:) and Input and output impedances will not be a matter for me :)
Thank Geek for help, and in this shema, can I prelace all tubes with my 12AT7 tubes (cuz it's damned expensive for tubes here) ,but if not...why not pay a litle more for DIY audio, ;) right my dear friends ?

Hi there

I built a clone of the Conrad Johnson PV10 which I later modified to a PV10A. I built it as a linestage and it does sound very good, despite all the critisism of 12AT7 tubes. Here is a link to a site with all the required schematics. Please contact me if you require the board layouts. Some parts are obsolete, but you can build it with a simpler power supply.

Regards

Dirk

http://w3.uniroma1.it/chemo/attivita/CJpv10.html

I believe Conrad Johnson's PV10 should be a good performance. I found that the Power Supply contribute large effect on the sound as well.

I built similar line amp with 6SN7 and I like to run it with C-L-C-L-C filter in the power supply. It provide very fine details and dead quiet background.

Johnny

Hi there Johnny

I built my PV10 clone with the exact power supply that CJ used, and I also believe that it contributes to the good sound. However, some of the psu parts are obsolete and virtually impossible to source. I suggested the use of a simpler power supply only because it might be a good idea as a start.

Regards

Dirk

SY said:

12AT7s have very low distortion in a competent circuit, quite comparable in magnitude and distribution to 6SL7.
I agree. Despite not having as good plate-curves (as say the more ubiquitous 12AX7 or 6DJ8), I've always found a good 12AT7 example to sound quite good.

Much to my surprise, I might add. But I guess that just goes to show ...

err... something! :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.