• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aesthetix Rhea and I/O diagrams?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Reinhard,
I have deliberately avoided balanced topologies in my phono stages because despite the high rejection of common mode noise the input stage is theoretically at least 3dB noisier and depending on implementation may be worse than this. The other concern I have is that the increased complexity probably comes with a cost in terms of reduced transparency.

Are you trying to copy the Aesthetix Rhea or IO or do you have one you are trying to repair?

For a very low output mc cartridges transformer coupling gives you the high cmrr of balanced operation without the noise penalty of the LTP stage at the input. There are other tradeoffs like cost/transparency of course.

I did a lot of balanced pp stuff (pre-amp and power amp) in the days before I was sold on SE. I prefer simplicity in the signal path..

Hello Kevin,

Repair of IO or Rhea is not a problem, both have single ended
input stage and go balanced from the second stage.

The BAT P10 is the same, instead of the P10 SE which is balanced from the first stage.

I know with a double triode in parallel or as a diffamp the diffamp is 6 dB noisier.

Will try to go balanced from the first stage with an array of input tubes. I´m interested in this and it is only a try.

Do you have schematics of your balanced Preamp, if and you can share it my e-mail is audiosix@gmxx.de

Regards,
Reinhard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.