• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help the Idiot: Simple, Great-Sounding Integrated Amp Designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I'm a complete novice at this, but I would like to try my hand at building an integrated tube amp. I can solder just fine but have no experience reading schematics -- as a result, I'd optimally like to find either an amp design that included some simple instructions or a PCB (which I can stuff). Kits are welcome, but I'm happy to source the parts myself so long as a parts list is supplied. Sound quality is very important.

I am planning on building this amp in a chassis that has already been purchased for me. It's about 16 wide *12 deep *4 high, so whatever you suggest has to fit inside or on top.

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
alejo,

Thank you for pointing SRMcGee in that direction. It's amazing that so many persons are unaware of how deadly this stuff can be.

SRMcGee,
If you decide to go that route than be sure and take pics of the progress and post them here for us to see. Even if it's a kit. Remember, there is only one first time.

Best of luck,
Cal

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
alejo said:
What Speaker you think use for this amp?

Something big and ugly like these:

Attachments

• img_3678.jpg
    img_3678.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 408
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Guys:

I appreciate your concern for my safety, and I intend to be careful. I may be a newbie, but I have built some audio gear to date (including a Bottlehead Foreplay, AES SuperAmp and four Gainclones). I just don't have any experience working from a schematic and am generally unfamiliar with tube gear. Hence my search for counsel.

So, can anyone point me in the direction of a great-sounding integrated tube amp? 15 to 25 watts ought to do it. Designed for a novice is a prerequisite. Cost is not a huge issue.

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott,

While they are not integrated amplifiers, I can recommend the power amps at:

http://www.diytube.com

I have built several of these amps as shown in the pictures shown at the URL at the bottom of this post.

They sound great. I like my eiclones best. They are monoblocks and have enough flexibility to use a number of tubes and transformers. They are powerful and sound fantastic. But those won't fit on your chassis. The stereo 35 clone will fit I think. I didn't check measurements.

A circuit board and a complete Mouser parts list are provided.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

http://community.webshots.com/album/354063825LZnHlO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.